1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with simplifying a 2nd order pde

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    I was given the equation
    dp/ds = 4 + 1/e*d/de(e*dp/de)

The derivatives in the equation are partial derivatives

the values of p,s,e are dimensionless numbers.

I am to assume that the solution is separable and then use finite difference method to solve for p, the finite difference method is not a problem. This is where i am having problems. What will the equation be after the assumption is made and the equation is simplified.

I have attempted the question:

I equated the right hand side = 0:

4 + 1/e*d/de(e*dp/de) = 0

and made the partial derivatives total derivatives and then applied the chain rule:

4 + 1/e*dp/de + d/de(dp/de). Is this correct????????

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure why you have set the right hand side to zero. If you have a separable solution, this will not be the case for non-trivial solutions. The method of separation of variables should be applied as follows.

Let [itex]p(e,s) = q(e)r(s)[/itex]. Then we have

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial s}q(e)r(s) = 4 + \frac{1}{e}\frac{\partial}{\partial e}\left(e\frac{\partial}{\partial e} q(e)r(s)\right)\;.[/tex]

Can you take it from here?

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3
    I have attempted it again:

using the equation given i ended up with:

q*dr/ds = 4 + r(1/e*dq/de+d/de(dq/de))

what happens to the 4 then??

5. Sep 7, 2011 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let's re-write it so that we can see what's happening more clearly:

[tex]q(e)r^\prime(s) = 4 + r(s)\left[\frac{q^\prime(e)}{e} + q^{\prime\prime}(e)\right][/tex]

This is still a separable equation, the fact that you have an additional constant term doesn't matter. If you're struggling to see it, let [itex]R(s) = 4+r(s)[/itex]. Then [itex]R^\prime(s) = r^\prime(s)[/itex] leading to

[tex]q(e)R^\prime(s) = R(s)\left[\frac{q^\prime(e)}{e} + q^{\prime\prime}(e)\right][/tex]

Can you now continue?

6. Sep 7, 2011 #5
    Yes thank you very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook