1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with some Moments problems

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The direction cosines of the force F are cos [tex]\vartheta[/tex]x= .818, cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]y= .182, cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]z= -.545. The support of the beam at O will fail if the magnitude of the moment of F about O exceeds 100 kN-m. Determine the magnitude of the largest force F that can safely be applied to the beam.

In the drawing, the give the length of the beam, which would be the "r" variable, as 3 m. So r=3 m.

Also, the dots between variables stands for the dot product, and the X between variables stands for the cross product.

2. Relevant equations
    |Mp|= D|F|
    |Mp|= r X F <-- Not sure if this one applies here.
    F=|F|ef with ef being the unit vector of F

3. The attempt at a solution

Our professor gave us that the direction cosines are the unit vector, so ef= .818i +.182j -.545k.

They said that the magnitude of the Moment could not exceed 100 kN-m, so I set up the equation 100=D|F|. If D is the perpendicular line from O to the force, than the length is r, which as stated above = 3 m.

So now I have:

100=3|F| or 100/3 = |F|

I know that the magnitude of F = the square root of (x2 + y2 + z2)

When I do the math I just get that F = 33.33 when the answer is supposed to be 58 kN.

Use Equations 4.5 and 4.6 to determine the moment of the 20-N force about (a) the x axis, (b) the y axis (c) the z axis.

Gives me the position (7, 4, 0)m and the force vector 20k (N)

2. Relevant equations

Equation 4.5 : ML= [e .(r X F)]e

Equation 4.6 : e.(r X F) = the determinate

Using the equation ML= [e .(r X F)]e. I can do the r X F part. I did that and got 80i -140j +0k. When when I have to dot that with e, which is a unit vector, i dont know where to get that unit vector from.

I can't do the unit vector of (7,4,0) because it doesn't come out right.

The answers are a=80i b= -140j and c=0

Thanks for any and all help.

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi vdfortd,

I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing the situation for the first problem.

I believe the unit vector in that equation is the unit vector that is in the direction of the axis. So for part a, [itex]\hat e[/itex] would be the unit vector in the direction of the x axis, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?