1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with springs and potential energy problem

1. Oct 26, 2007 #1
    Ok, this seems simple, and it probably is, but I'm just not seeing why I'm getting two non-equivalent solutions...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "A massless platform is supported by 4 equal springs (same length, same spring constant, etc.)
    A mass m is placed on the center of the platform causing an equal compression of x in each spring. What is the spring constant k of a single spring in terms of the mass m, the acceleration of gravity g, and the compression of the spring x?

2. Relevant equations
    Fspring = -kx
    Fgrav = mg
    Uspring = 1/2(kx^2)
    Ugrav = mgx

3. The attempt at a solution
    What's throwing me off is that there seem to be two valid ways to solve this, each resulting in a different value of k...

If I use the fact that the force acting on each spring is 1/4 the force of gravity acting on the mass I get:

So... k = (mg)/(4x)

But, then isn't the elastic potential energy stored in each spring 1/4 the gravitational potential energy in the mass when it is first placed on the platform (before any compression)? If so, I get:

1/2(kx^2) = mgx/4
    So... k = (mg)/(2x)

The back of the book gives (mg)/(4x). Which I understand, the problem is that the second answer seems valid to me, but obviously the second one is wrong. I just can't see where is my error in reasoning. Help?

Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is a very sharp observation on your part. The error in your reasoning is that mechanical energy is not conserved, since you must apply a non conservative force to slowly lower the beam to its new rest postion; otherwise it would osscilate back and forth about its final rest position, extending the spring twice as much in so doing.
  4. Oct 26, 2007 #3
    So basically I forgot to account for the fact that if the mechanical energy is conserved (i.e. the mass is simply released, not slowly lowered) then an oscilation about x occurs requiring an additional term to account for the fact that there is a non-zero velocity as the mass passes through x (it has kinetic energy as well).

5. Oct 26, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?