Help with the inverse of some functions

In summary, to solve the inverse of these functions, you can swap x and y and solve for y in terms of x using the quadratic formula. This will give you two values of x for each y, so make sure to consider the domains to ensure a unique inverse.
saulwizard1

Homework Statement

Hi!
Does anyone know how to solve the inverse of these functions?
  • y=(4x^2+2x-2)/(8x^2-4x+6)
  • y=(x+1)/(x^2)

I would appreciate your help with these exercises.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one: 8yx^2-4xy+6y=4x^2+2x-2

For the second exercise:
yx^2=x+1
yx^2-x=1

Physics news on Phys.org
So you now have a second order polynomial in x. How do you solve this if you assume y to be fixed?

Orodruin said:
So you now have a second order polynomial in x. How do you solve this if you assume y to be fixed?
I've tried to solve it by using a factorization, but I get lost on the next steps, and I don't know how to do it exactly. I attach a file with my attempts (I don´t know if I am correct or not).

Attachments

• inverse functions.docx
    12.9 KB · Views: 603
Orodruin said:
Are you familiar with the quadratic formula and its derivation?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_formula
Honestly, I only used before the quadratic formula, but with its derivation I was not familiarized.

Both of these reduce to quadratic equations.
When I invert functions, I normally like to swap my x and y variables and solve for y in terms of x. It is just the same to solve for x in terms of y, but old habits die hard, and I am used to looking for functions of x.
If you do this, you will be able to solve for y by treating functions of x as coefficients (A =f(x) , B=g(x), C=h(x) ) and using the quadratic equation.

saulwizard1 said:

Homework Statement

Hi!
Does anyone know how to solve the inverse of these functions?
  • y=(4x^2+2x-2)/(8x^2-4x+6)
  • y=(x+1)/(x^2)

I would appreciate your help with these exercises.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one: 8yx^2-4xy+6y=4x^2+2x-2

For the second exercise:
yx^2=x+1
yx^2-x=1

What is stopping you from solving the quadratic equations, to find x in terms of y?

Of course, each quadratic will have two roots (at least for most values of y) so you will have two values of x for each y, and you need to worry about what that means.

Ray Vickson said:
What is stopping you from solving the quadratic equations, to find x in terms of y?

Of course, each quadratic will have two roots (at least for most values of y) so you will have two values of x for each y, and you need to worry about what that means.
So you are telling me that I can solve it by using the quadratic formula and finding the valuex of x?

saulwizard1 said:
So you are telling me that I can solve it by using the quadratic formula and finding the valuex of x?
Yes.

What are the domains? if the function is not 1-1 there will not be a unique inverse.

Ok, I think I have the answer for the second exercise, and now I share with you
y(x)=(1+-sqrt(4x+1))/2x

Now I share the answer for the first exercise, I expect don't have mistakes.

y(x) = (2 x+1)/(4 (2 x-1))±sqrt(-44 x^2+12 x+9)/(4 (2 x-1))

1. What is the inverse of a function?

The inverse of a function is a new function that "undoes" the original function. It is obtained by switching the input and output values of the original function.

2. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you can follow these steps:
1. Rewrite the function as y = f(x)
2. Switch the x and y variables, so the function becomes x = f(y)
3. Solve for y in terms of x
4. Replace y with f^-1(x) to represent the inverse function

3. What is the notation for an inverse function?

The notation for an inverse function is f^-1(x), where f(x) is the original function. This notation represents the inverse function as a function of x.

4. Can all functions have an inverse?

No, not all functions have an inverse. For a function to have an inverse, it must pass the horizontal line test, which means that every horizontal line intersects the function at most once. Functions that do not pass this test, such as a parabola, do not have an inverse.

5. What is the importance of inverse functions?

Inverse functions are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to "undo" a function and solve for the original input. They are also useful in solving equations and finding solutions to problems in various fields, including physics, engineering, and finance.