U substitution for integral of cos(π/x¹¹)/x¹²

  • Thread starter Thread starter miller8605
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 2K views
miller8605
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
I don't have a way of getting the equation to look nice but it's:

integral of cos(pi/x^11) / x^12




I am having issues even finding what I could use as a U substitution. Any help would be great!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Dick said:
How about u=pi/x^11?

problem with that is when you take the derivative, you don't have the dx int he problem.

i'm almost certain the U has to equal x^12 as then du would then be 11x^11 and you can divide that by 11 and stick a 1/11 out front. I just don't know how to get du out of that stupid fraction. unless I'm going about it completely wrong and it's not a U substitution and it's a by parts question.
 
If u=pi/x^11 then what do you think is du?
 
(-11pi*x^10) / x^11

if I used the quotient rule correctly
 
You forgot to square the denominator.
 
Dick said:
You forgot to square the denominator.

it looks like i did, i forgot the derivate of pi was zero, haha. dumb on my part.

but that doesn't get me anywhere because no where in the original problem is the du. i have to get rid of that 1/x^12 somehow.
 
Dick said:
Simplify (-11pi*x^10) / (x^11)^2.

wow, can't believe i missed that. thanks for all your help, i'll post up my answer here in a couple minutes.