1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with understanding how to figure out the amount of heat to boil away water.

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/know

2300 grams of water is heated. If this water starts at a temperature of 17 degrees Celsius, what amount of heat is needed to boil away all of this water? Note that the specific heat of water is 1 calorie per gram per degree Celsius, the Heat of vaporization of water is 540 calories per gram, and water boils at 100 degrees Celsius.

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured that this would be the best formule for me to use Q = c m ΔT, and Qv = m Lv .

Since water boils at 100 degrees celsius, I assumed that I should subtract 100-17 to get 83 degrees as the differnce in temperature.

Can I please get assistance with understanding this probelm.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2
    Actually, you are on the right track. Use your two formulas. The total heat is the sum of the two.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook