Help with using the Squeeze Theorem to find a limit.

In summary, we were given the hint to try using the Squeeze Theorem in order to find the limit as n → ∞ of the sequence {(2^n+3^n)^(1/n)}. After trying a few different methods, we were unsuccessful in finding a function that always has a limit of 1.
pzzldstudent
We were given the hint to try using the Squeeze Theorem in order to find the
limit as n → ∞ of the sequence {(2^n + 3^n)^(1/n)}.

I understand the concept of the squeeze theorem that I need to find functions A and B such that A ≤ {(2^n + 3^n)^(1/n)} ≤ B, and A and B limit to the same quantity, say "L."
So lim A = lim B = L, so that I can conclude that lim (2^n + 3^n)^(1/n) = L.

I don't know how to come up with those functions. It has been 2 years since I last took a calculus class, so I am very rusty with limits.

So far all I have is that 0 ≤ {(2^n + 3^n)^(1/n)} ≤ 2^n + 3^n.

So I can say 0 limits to 0, but then how would I evaluate
the limit of 2^n + 3^n as n approaches ∞? It would just keep getting bigger so I would have that limit as ∞. So I am stuck with 0 and ∞ as limits which is wrong because A and B are supposed to limit to the same value.

Any help, tips, corrections, and/or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
To find A and B, you might try using the Binomial theorem on [itex](2^n+3^n)^{\frac{1}{n}}=3\left(1+\left(\frac{2}{3}\right)^n \right)^{\frac{1}{n}}[/itex]...Clearly, [itex]\left(1+\left(\frac{2}{3}\right)^n\right)^{\frac{1}{n}} \geq 1[/itex] can you think of a function that is always greater than or equal to this quantity and also has a limit of 1?

I'm not sure I'd use the squeeze theorem on this. But if you want to, 3^n<=2^n+3^n<=3^n+3^n.

gabbagabbahey said:
To find A and B, you might try using the Binomial theorem on [itex](2^n+3^n)^{\frac{1}{n}}=3\left(1+\left(\frac{2}{3}\right)^n \right)^{\frac{1}{n}}[/itex]...Clearly, [itex]\left(1+\left(\frac{2}{3}\right)^n\right)^{\frac{1}{n}} \geq 1[/itex] can you think of a function that is always greater than or equal to this quantity and also has a limit of 1?

I think the binomial theorem is just plain overkill. If you want to do it that way, then just take the log of the second factor and look at the limit. BTW that's how I would have done it without using 'squeeze'.

Last edited:
gabbagabbahey said:
To find A and B, you might try using the Binomial theorem
Thanks for looking at this thread. We haven't gotten to the Binomial Theorem yet, and I don't think our professor will be emphasizing it that much, so I think that if I use that theorem, it would appear unrealistic for me to do that since we haven't covered it yet.

Thanks for the input though, and I'll definitely look into the binomial theorem a bit more when our professor mentions it.

Dick said:
I'm not sure I'd use the squeeze theorem on this. But if you want to, [tex]3^{n}[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]{2^{n}+3^{n}}[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]3^{n}[/tex] + [tex]3^{n}[/tex].

Will this work?
3 [tex]\leq\sqrt[n]{2^{n}+3^{n}}[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] 3[tex]\sqrt[n]{2}[/tex]

How do I know the limit of 3[tex]\sqrt[n]{2}[/tex] is 3?

So is the limit of [tex]3^{n}[/tex] = 3 = limit of [tex]3^{n}[/tex] + [tex]3^{n}[/tex].
But I am taking [tex]\sqrt[n]{2^{n}+3^{n}}[/tex] and not just [tex]{2^{n}+3^{n}}[/tex]

To figure out the lim (2)^(1/n), take the log. The limit if the log is pretty clear, isn't it?

Dick said:
To figure out the lim (2)^(1/n), take the log. The limit if the log is pretty clear, isn't it?

I've forgotten how to take logs and limits of logs.
Is it
log 2^(1/n) can be rewritten as (1/n) = [tex]log_{2}[/tex] x?
How do I find the limit from there? Take ln?

pzzldstudent said:
I've forgotten how to take logs and limits of logs.
Is it
log 2^(1/n) can be rewritten as (1/n) = [tex]log_{2}[/tex] x?
How do I find the limit from there? Take ln?

In (1/n)=log_2(x) do you mean x=2^(1/n)?

Last edited:
If you want to try and sneak around the logs, 2^n+3^n<=3^n+3^n+3^n=3*3^n=3^(n+1).

Where's the radical?

Dick said:
If you want to try and sneak around the logs, 2^n+3^n<=3^n+3^n+3^n=3*3^n=3^(n+1).

I'm still not quite "seeing" it. Where does the radical 'nth root' go?
I understand the comparison of 2^n+3^n<=3^n+3^n+3^n=3*3^n=3^(n+1), but I'm still struggling with how to relate it to the problem that has [tex](2^{n} + 3^{n})^{1/n}[/tex]. Where are you putting the (1/n) exponent in the comparison?

(3^n)^(1/n)=3<=(2^n+3^n)^(1/n)<=(3^(n+1))^(1/n)=3^(1+1/n).

Dick said:
(3^n)^(1/n)=3<=(2^n+3^n)^(1/n)<=(3^(n+1))^(1/n)=3^(1+1/n).

Cool, thanks a lot! I think I got it now. If not, I'll post again here. Thanks for all your help thus far!

1. What is the Squeeze Theorem?

The Squeeze Theorem is a mathematical theorem that allows us to evaluate the limit of a function by comparing it to two other functions whose limits are already known. It is also known as the Sandwich Theorem or the Pinching Theorem.

2. How do I use the Squeeze Theorem to find a limit?

To use the Squeeze Theorem, you need to identify two functions that are always greater than or equal to our original function and two functions that are always less than or equal to our original function. Then, if the limits of the "squeezing" functions are equal, we can conclude that the limit of the original function is also equal to that limit.

3. What are the limitations of the Squeeze Theorem?

The Squeeze Theorem can only be used if our original function is between two other functions, and those functions have known limits. Additionally, the Squeeze Theorem only works for one-sided limits, where the function approaches a specific value from one direction.

4. Can the Squeeze Theorem be used for all types of functions?

Yes, the Squeeze Theorem can be used for any type of function as long as it meets the requirements of having two "squeezing" functions with known limits and the original function being between them.

5. How can I apply the Squeeze Theorem to real-life situations?

The Squeeze Theorem is often used in real-life situations to solve problems related to physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to determine the velocity or acceleration of an object by squeezing it between two known functions. It can also be used to analyze the behavior of stock prices by comparing it to other known economic models.