Help with velocity-time graphs

• Thread starter Jimmy87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary: Just remember that the velocity must decrease to a fixed value (terminal velocity) over a finite time, not instantly as you have shown.In summary, the conversation discusses how to accurately sketch the motion of a parachute opening on a graph. The speaker is unsure about how to represent the deceleration and acceleration phases on the graph, as well as the concept of equal areas under the curve. They receive guidance on how to approach the problem, including considering the units of the graph and the constraints of the original problem. The final sketch shows a gradual decrease in acceleration and a gradual approach to terminal velocity.
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

I have attached the homework question as it is on a graph so easier to see as attachment. I am stuck with last last part about sketching onto the graph the actual correct motion of the parachute

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached my attempt and the answer. My thinking is that the correct motion must start on the original line as this is acceleration due to gravity. It would then still accelerate but at a decreasing rate due to air resistance (which increase with speed) up to 12s. From 12s it would then decelerate in some time interval rather than go from 12s to 6s in zero time as the original graph shows. I can't tell how many marks I would get and don't really understand the answer. What does "decelerating phase parallel but sooner mean"? Parallel to what and sooner than what? And I have no idea what it means by "areas under graphs should be equal".

Thanks for any help offered.

Attachments

• Parachute Question - My Attempt.docx
    40.7 KB · Views: 195
  • Parachute Question (Answer).docx
    102.1 KB · Views: 183
  • Parachute Question.docx
    191.4 KB · Views: 178
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you are supposed to sketch what you think a real-life graph would look like, vs the model. Do you know what the area under the curve (velocity vs time) represents? Think about the units. Horizontal is seconds. Vertical is m/s. What happens when you multiply (m/s) by (s)? Can you relate this to some constraint in the original problem?
You are correct that the velocity would not change instantly. What would be the acceleration necessary for this to happen? What would that mean for the amount of force necessary?

Likes Jimmy87
scottdave said:
It looks like you are supposed to sketch what you think a real-life graph would look like, vs the model. Do you know what the area under the curve (velocity vs time) represents? Think about the units. Horizontal is seconds. Vertical is m/s. What happens when you multiply (m/s) by (s)? Can you relate this to some constraint in the original problem?
You are correct that the velocity would not change instantly. What would be the acceleration necessary for this to happen? What would that mean for the amount of force necessary?

Yes, the area gives the distance travelled. So would the first part (decreasing acceleration) have to reach a speed less than 12 m/s. If you draw this decreasing acceleration curve to 12s the area work out being much bigger otherwise?

I understand the second part - the vertical line means the time is zero which means the force and acceleration would be infinite. I'm just not sure how to accurately draw the deceleration when the parachute open. I know it asymptotically approaches 6 m/s but should it do this sooner or later? I still don't get what it means by "decelerating phase parallel but sooner"?

It is going to be a steep change when the shoot opens (just not quite vertical), then change to a shallower pitch and approach the horizontal terminal velocity. Since the curve is above the horizontal line, then the first part (near freefall) will have to be below that line, for the total areas to be equal. It is supposed to be a sketch.

Likes Jimmy87
scottdave said:
It is going to be a steep change when the shoot opens (just not quite vertical), then change to a shallower pitch and approach the horizontal terminal velocity. Since the curve is above the horizontal line, then the first part (near freefall) will have to be below that line, for the total areas to be equal. It is supposed to be a sketch.

I think I get what you mean. So is this attached attempt better? Do the green and blue areas I have shaded need to be equal if I understand you correctly? They are not on the diagram but the only way to get them equal is if the decreasing acceleration (convex curve) barely curves at all.

Attachments

• Parachute Question (2nd Attempt).docx
    39.1 KB · Views: 188
Jimmy87 said:
I think I get what you mean. So is this attached attempt better? Do the green and blue areas I have shaded need to be equal if I understand you correctly? They are not on the diagram but the only way to get them equal is if the decreasing acceleration (convex curve) barely curves at all.
That looks better, Except that the action (parachute open) should occur at the same time as the model, because I think the problem states that the parachute opens at a specific time. You should find that acceleration initially is slower due to air resistance (without the parachute there will be some). And yes, your blue area should be equal in area to the green (so that the total area under the curve equals 150 meters total distance).

Likes Jimmy87
scottdave said:
That looks better, Except that the action (parachute open) should occur at the same time as the model, because I think the problem states that the parachute opens at a specific time. You should find that acceleration initially is slower due to air resistance (without the parachute there will be some). And yes, your blue area should be equal in area to the green (so that the total area under the curve equals 150 meters total distance).

Thanks for your help. So more like this one i attached then? Could you just confirm the following reasoning is correct:

The maximum velocity in my sketch should be smaller than 12 m/s because if there is air resistance then after the same amount of time the velocity will be smaller so it would never get as high as 12 m/s in reality?

Attachments

• Parachute Question (3rd Attempt).docx
    40.9 KB · Views: 188
That looks in about how I would sketch it.

Likes Jimmy87

1. What is a velocity-time graph?

A velocity-time graph is a graphical representation of an object's velocity over time. It shows how an object's velocity changes over a certain period of time, with velocity on the y-axis and time on the x-axis.

2. How do you interpret a velocity-time graph?

To interpret a velocity-time graph, you can look at the slope of the line. A steeper slope indicates a greater velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a slower velocity. You can also determine the object's acceleration by calculating the change in velocity over the change in time.

3. How do you calculate the velocity from a velocity-time graph?

To calculate the velocity from a velocity-time graph, you can determine the slope of the line at a specific point. This can be done by choosing two points on the line and dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s).

4. What does a horizontal line on a velocity-time graph represent?

A horizontal line on a velocity-time graph represents a constant velocity. This means that the object is moving at a consistent speed, and there is no change in its velocity over time.

5. Can you have a negative velocity on a velocity-time graph?

Yes, you can have a negative velocity on a velocity-time graph. A negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction on the graph. For example, a line with a negative slope indicates that the object is slowing down or moving in the negative direction.