HELPConservation of momentum lab

In summary, we did a lab putting baking soda, citric acid, and water into a film canister and we had to find the amount of each ingrediant to give the max height when propelled by material, and once we have that we time it and the questions is to find the velocityof the canister when the propellant erupts. For the lab, we used water, baking soda, and citric acid. We found that the canister would reach a max height of 6 meters when propelled by the propellant. The velocity of the canister when the propellant erupts was 4.1 meters per second.
pie877
1. we did a lab putting baking soda, citric acid, and water into a film canister and we had to find the amount of each ingrediant to give the max height when propelled by material, and once we have that we time it and the questions is to find the velocityof the canister when the propellant erupts
m (of canister) 4.1g
m (of baking soda, citric acid and water) 7g
m (of water) 10 ml (10 g)
time (from liftoff to landing) 1.29 s
max height 6m

Homework Equations

we know the basic kinematics equations such as:
d=v1t+1/2at^2
v2^2=v1^2 + 2ad

also we know conservation of momentum equation
p1=p2
m1v1+m2v1+m3v3=m1v'1+m2v'2+m3v'3

3. The Attempt at a Solution
i tried using the 1st equation d=v1t+1/2at^2 but my speed was 12.6
when t=.645s (time to reach max height) and a=9.8m/s^2 and d=6 m (max height)
but I am not sure if we need to use the momentum equation? and how t go about to this lab?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi pie877! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
pie877 said:
but I am not sure if we need to use the momentum equation?

no, energy will do …

either use KE + PE = constant,

or use one the standard constant acceleration equations (not d = v1t + 1/2at2, it has too many unknowns, use one with v2 in … I'm assuming the canister is going straight up :wink:)

Hi pie877, welcome to PF :)

(Please refrain from using bold face - it hurts my eyes!)

pie877 said:
time (from liftoff to landing) 1.29 s
max height 6m

The Attempt at a Solution

but I am not sure if we need to use the momentum equation? and how t go about to this lab?

Can you explain how you found a speed of 12.6 when t=.645s?

Btw, the momentum equation is not of use in this case.

Alright I'll try that and yes it's going straight up
Thx

tiny-tim said:
either use KE + PE = constant,

or use one the standard constant acceleration equations (not d = v1t + 1/2at2, it has too many unknowns, use one with v2 in … I'm assuming the canister is going straight up :wink:)

should i get the same answer tho?

cuz I am not sure which mass to use for KE+PE=constant
like mass of canister or mass of canister and contents lol

hi pie877! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
pie877 said:
cuz I am not sure which mass to use for KE+PE=constant
like mass of canister or mass of canister and contents lol

use the mass of whatever goes up …

any contents that get left behind don't count :wink:

Thanks I got it to work lol :)

What is the purpose of the "HELPConservation of momentum lab"?

The purpose of the "HELPConservation of momentum lab" is to demonstrate the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This lab allows students to observe and analyze the conservation of momentum in various scenarios.

What materials are needed for the "HELPConservation of momentum lab"?

The materials needed for this lab may vary, but typically include a track, carts or objects with varying masses, a motion sensor, and a data collection software. Other materials may also be used, depending on the specific lab setup.

What are the steps for conducting the "HELPConservation of momentum lab"?

The general steps for conducting this lab are: 1. Set up the track and motion sensor. 2. Place the carts or objects at the starting point. 3. Release the carts or objects and allow them to collide. 4. Record the data using the motion sensor and data collection software. 5. Analyze the data to determine the conservation of momentum in the system.

What are some potential sources of error in the "HELPConservation of momentum lab"?

Some potential sources of error in this lab may include friction between the carts and the track, air resistance, and human error in recording and analyzing the data. It is important to minimize these errors as much as possible to obtain accurate results.

How does the "HELPConservation of momentum lab" relate to real-world applications?

The principle of conservation of momentum is applicable in various real-world scenarios, such as collisions between vehicles or objects, rocket launches, and sports activities. This lab allows students to understand and apply this principle in a controlled environment, which can help them better understand and predict real-world situations.