3D model I created of the largest steam locomotive ever built

Main Question or Discussion Point

Here is a 3D model (blender 2.8) I created of the Chesapeake And Ohio Allegheny 1601 steam locomotive, which remains today the largest locomotive ever built.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Can you change the lighting so that the images are more visible?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
I thought that was smoke. 😉

Yeah, I'm just looking for a good HDRI, and I also need to texture the floor to make it look like grass or some other natural ground material.

Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Yeah, I'm just looking for a good HDRI, and I also need to texture the floor to make it look like grass or some other natural ground material.
You can use quick fur to create a pretty good grass. This is what I was able to get fairly easily by tweaking the properties a bit.
grass.png

Here's what settings I used to get it:
settings.png

Here is a 3D model (blender 2.8) I created of the Chesapeake And Ohio Allegheny 1601 steam locomotive, which remains today the largest locomotive ever built.
Impressive!

I like building (assembling) small (real) models myself, and I have always been impressed by those who have talent and patience to do models from scratch, both real, and as in this case, virtual.

How long did it take to do the model, I wonder?

And can it be printed on a 3D printer, or is it too complicated? I guess one would have to print the individual parts and then assemble it, perhaps?

Thanks!

It took me about a month to complete.

And it's probably far too complex for a 3D print.