Heres my pic of m36 taken the other night

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter twinsen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two astrophotography shots taken by Alex, one of M36 and one of Earth'shine. The first shot was a 1 minute unguided exposure using a Canon 300mm lens, resulting in poor focus and alignment. Alex suggests stacking multiple shorter exposures for a sharper and brighter image. The second shot also has some issues with overexposure due to the brightness of the moon, but Alex suggests using different exposures and compositing them for a better result. The conversation also briefly mentions using a motorized EQ mount for the first shot and the potential for star trails at longer exposures.
twinsen
Heres my pic of m36 taken the other night its a 1 min unguided shot through my canon 300mm lens @ f4
the focus is horrible and it wasnt aligned but it is my first ever astrophoto shot.

The second shot is Earth'shine the flaring is due to the overexposure of the moon i think but this is unavoidable.

Alex

Attachments

• m_36_zoomed.jpg
    m_36_zoomed.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 558
  • earthshine.jpg
    earthshine.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 489
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Good start. Two suggestions:

For the first, since it is on a fixed-mount, you can try taking a half dozen to a dozen 15 second exposures and stacking them with a program like Registax. It'll be sharper and brighter.

For the second, you can take several exposures of different lengths and composite them in photoshop. I'm working on an Earth'shine pic as well.

When i say unguided i mean it was on a motorised EQ mount but without any kind of pec adjustment or guiding.
If it was on a stationary mount a 1min exposure would leave star trails half way across the fov lol

Alex

Oh. Hmm... at only 300mm, I wouldn't think that PE would show up. But yeah, you're right - even at 300mm, the Earth's rotation would be a lot more...

What is M36?

M36, also known as the "Pinwheel Cluster," is an open star cluster located in the constellation of Auriga.

When was the picture taken?

The picture of M36 was taken on the night of [insert date here].

What equipment was used to capture the image?

The image of M36 was captured using a telescope with an aperture of [insert aperture size here] and a camera with a [insert camera model here].

How far away is M36?

M36 is located approximately 4,100 light-years away from Earth.

What can we learn from studying M36?

Studying M36 can provide insights into the formation and evolution of star clusters, as well as the properties and lifecycles of individual stars within the cluster.