Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Heres my pic of m36 taken the other night

1. Mar 23, 2007 #1
    Heres my pic of m36 taken the other night its a 1 min unguided shot through my canon 300mm lens @ f4
    the focus is horrible and it wasnt aligned but it is my first ever astrophoto shot.

The second shot is earthshine the flaring is due to the overexposure of the moon i think but this is unavoidable.

Alex

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Good start. Two suggestions:

For the first, since it is on a fixed-mount, you can try taking a half dozen to a dozen 15 second exposures and stacking them with a program like Registax. It'll be sharper and brighter.

For the second, you can take several exposures of different lengths and composite them in photoshop. I'm working on an earthshine pic as well.

4. Mar 23, 2007 #3
    When i say unguided i mean it was on a motorised EQ mount but without any kind of pec adjustment or guiding.
    If it was on a stationary mount a 1min exposure would leave star trails half way across the fov lol

Alex

5. Mar 23, 2007 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Oh. Hmm... at only 300mm, I wouldn't think that PE would show up. But yeah, you're right - even at 300mm, the earth's rotation would be a lot more...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook