1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Here's what I've got, where should I go now?

1. Jul 25, 2012 #1
    Here's a list of most of the textbooks I've read;
    Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences - Mary Boas
    Introuction to Linear Algebra - Gilbert Strang
    Linear Algebra - Hoffman and Kunze
    Theory of Sets - Bourbaki
    Algebra I (the first third of) - Bourbaki
    Mathematical Analysis - Tom Apostol
    Principles of Mathematical Analysis - Walter Rudin
    Princples of Quantum Mechanics - R Shankar
    Modern Quantum Mechanics - JJ Sakurai
    Classical Mechanics - Goldstein
    Classical Mechanics - Landau and Lifgarbagez
    Non-rel Quantum Mechanics - Landau and Lifgarbagez
    Classical Field Theory - Davidson
    Introduction to Tensor Calculus and Contuum Mechanics - J Heinbockel
    Intorduction to Topology and Modern Analysis - George Simmons
    Algebra: Chapter 0 (first half) - Paolo Aluffi
    Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach - Peter Norvig (I did one of Stanford's online courses)
    Introduction to Electrodynamics - David Griffiths
    And of course, I've picked up some other bits and bobs along the way.
    Currently reading (more than half way through);
    Advanced Linear Algebra - Steve Roman
    Introduction to Manifolds - Loring Tu
    Introduction to Statistical Mechanics - David Chandler

What gaps do I need to fill in my knowledge? (I'm sure there must be many since my route isn't exactly the conventional one)
    I'm mostly interested in physics, specifically physics of the very small althogh I've never really found a good textbook on GR to see if I like that. I'm also interested in maths, I'm quite enjoying the linear algebra and manifolds ideas too, so any reccomendations for either QFT/QED/whatever comes after you've done your basic QM, introduction to GR or book to go onto after I've finished Tu and Romans books would be welcome.
    I'm also interested in learning some kind of programming language, so what books would be suitable for someone with my background?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2012 #2
    Sorry for offtopic, but how much did it take to work through them all? Did you do a reasonable amount of exercises? Do you do this on your free time?

4. Jul 25, 2012 #3
    Over the past year/year and a half/at most two years I've been studying pretty much non stop on and off on a kind of 5 weeks on to 1 week off ratio. I do most of the exercises in the books, it really depends on how many are given, if there are a lot given then I'll skip a couple of the easier ones, if there isn't a lot I'll do all of them, and I also make my own problems and scenarios to investigate.
    I do do this in my spare time although I have a LOT of spare time but I'm not neglecting other parts and people of my life.

5. Jul 25, 2012 #4
    You are missing E&M.

6. Jul 25, 2012 #5
    Oh damn, I forgot a book!
    I've also done Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics. I've heard good things about Jackson for a follow up textbook though so I'll probably do that once I've finished the books im currently working on. I'd be happy to accept any recommendations for alternate electrodynamics textbooks though.
    Thanks for the input none the less :biggrin:

7. Jul 25, 2012 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Jul 26, 2012 #7
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  9. Aug 3, 2012 #8
    I would suggest some Complex Analysis. Needham is inspired but Churchill & Brown is more applied.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook