Hermite Polynomial Recurrence Question

In summary, Hermite polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials named after French mathematician Charles Hermite. They are defined by a recurrence relation and have applications in quantum mechanics and solving differential equations. They are intimately connected to the harmonic oscillator and play a crucial role in describing wave functions and calculating energy levels.
timman_24

Homework Statement

I need to find an expression for:
[itex]y^{2}H(y)[/itex]

I know how to find:
[itex]yH(y)[/itex]
with:
[itex]yH(y)=\frac{1}{2}H_{n+1}(y)+nH_{n-1}(y)[/itex]

I looked through the miscellaneous relations but nothing stuck out to me. Can someone give me some guidance on how to go about finding a relation? I assume I do not simply multiply both sides by y!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply both sides by y, then expand out the righthand side.

What are Hermite polynomials?

Hermite polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that arise in the study of quantum mechanics and other areas of mathematics. They are named after the French mathematician Charles Hermite and are defined by a recurrence relation.

What is the recurrence relation for Hermite polynomials?

The recurrence relation for Hermite polynomials is Hn+1(x) = 2xHn(x) - 2nHn-1(x), where Hn(x) is the nth Hermite polynomial.

What is the significance of Hermite polynomials in quantum mechanics?

Hermite polynomials play a crucial role in the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics. They are used to describe the wave functions of quantum mechanical systems and have applications in the calculation of energy levels and transition probabilities.

How are Hermite polynomials related to the harmonic oscillator?

Hermite polynomials are intimately connected to the harmonic oscillator, which is a fundamental system in quantum mechanics. The wave functions of the harmonic oscillator are described by Hermite polynomials, and the energy levels of the system are directly related to the roots of these polynomials.

Can Hermite polynomials be used to solve differential equations?

Yes, Hermite polynomials can be used to solve certain types of differential equations, particularly those involving the harmonic oscillator. This is because the recurrence relation for Hermite polynomials is closely related to the differential equation that describes the harmonic oscillator.