Hermitian conjugate of the derivative of a wave function

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
Gene Naden
Messages
320
Reaction score
64
I am continuing to work through Lessons on Particle Physics. The link is
https://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0906/0906.1271v2.pdf
I am on page 22, equation (1.5.58). The authors are deriving the Hermitian conjugate of the Dirac equation (in order to construct the current). I am able to reproduce (1.5.58) except for one difference:
I have ##-i\gamma^0 \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \psi^\dagger - i\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k} \psi^\dagger (-\gamma^k)=0##
while the authors have ##-i\gamma^0 \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \psi^\dagger - i\frac{\partial}{\partial x^k} \psi^\dagger (-\gamma^k)=0##

I think, but I am not sure, that they are saying ##(\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x_\mu})^\dagger=\frac{\partial \psi^\dagger}{\partial x^\mu}##

I would like clarification on whether this is in fact the root of my error. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Am I going blind? I don't see any difference between the 2 equations.

(Btw, I would have thought that the ##\gamma^0## should be on the right of ##\psi^\dagger## in the 1st term.)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Gene Naden and vanhees71
Gene Naden said:
I am continuing to work through Lessons on Particle Physics. The link is
https://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0906/0906.1271v2.pdf
I am on page 22, equation (1.5.58). The authors are deriving the Hermitian conjugate of the Dirac equation (in order to construct the current). I am able to reproduce (1.5.58) except for one difference:
I have ##-i\gamma^0 \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \psi^\dagger - i\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k} \psi^\dagger (-\gamma^k)=0##
while the authors have ##-i\gamma^0 \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \psi^\dagger - i\frac{\partial}{\partial x^k} \psi^\dagger (-\gamma^k)=0##

I think, but I am not sure, that they are saying ##(\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x_\mu})^\dagger=\frac{\partial \psi^\dagger}{\partial x^\mu}##

I would like clarification on whether this is in fact the root of my error. Thanks.

Since [itex]x^\mu[/itex] is real,

[itex](\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu} \psi)^\dagger = \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu} \psi^\dagger[/itex]

What they're saying is a fact about the gamma matrices (at least in their usual representation):

[itex](\gamma^\mu)^\dagger = \gamma^0 \gamma^\mu \gamma^0[/itex]

This can be proved by the four facts:
  1. [itex](\gamma^0)^2 =1[/itex]
  2. [itex]\gamma^0 \gamma^j = - \gamma^j \gamma^0[/itex] (with [itex]j=1,2,3[/itex])
  3. [itex](\gamma^0)^\dagger= \gamma^0[/itex]
  4. [itex](\gamma^j)^\dagger = -\gamma^j[/itex] (with [itex]j = 1,2,3[/itex])
So start with the Dirac equation:

[itex]i \gamma^\mu \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu} \psi = m \psi[/itex]

Take the conjugate:

[itex]-i \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu} \psi^\dagger (\gamma^\mu)^\dagger = m \psi^\dagger[/itex]

Rewrite [itex](\gamma^\mu)^\dagger[/itex] as [itex]\gamma^0 \gamma^\mu \gamma^0[/itex]:

[itex]-i \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu} \psi^\dagger \gamma^0 \gamma^\mu \gamma^0 = m \psi^\dagger[/itex]

Multiply on the right by [itex]\gamma^0[/itex]:

[itex]-i \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu} \psi^\dagger \gamma^0 \gamma^\mu \gamma^0 \gamma^0 = m \psi^\dagger \gamma^0[/itex]

Now, use that [itex](\gamma^0)^2 = 1[/itex]

[itex]-i \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu} \psi^\dagger \gamma^0 \gamma^\mu = m \psi^\dagger \gamma^0[/itex]

Finally, define [itex]\psi^\dagger \gamma^0 \equiv \bar{\psi}[/itex]

[itex]-i \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu} \bar{\psi} \gamma^\mu = m \bar{\psi}[/itex]

(That paper has a mistake in equation 1.5.58. The first term on the left should be [itex]-i \partial_t \psi^\dagger \gamma^0[/itex], not [itex]-i \gamma^0 \partial_t \psi^\dagger[/itex].)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Gene Naden
Hi Stevendaryl,
Thanks for your input.

I am still wondering; what are the relations between ##\partial_{x_\mu}##, (##\partial_{x_\mu})^\dagger## and ##\partial^{x_\mu}##?

By multiplying it out, I have satisfied myself that ##-i \partial_t \psi^\dagger \gamma^0 = -i \gamma^0 \partial_t \psi^\dagger##. It is because ##\gamma^0## is symmetric and ##\partial_t \psi^\dagger## is a vector rather than a matrix.
 
strangerep,
Thanks for taking an interest in my thread.
There is a difference; I had
##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k}##
while they had
##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^k}##
I am wondering, however, if this difference matters. But since ##x^\mu=g^{\mu\sigma}x_{\sigma}##, it seems to make a difference.

See my earlier post where I argue that ##-i \partial_t \psi^\dagger \gamma^0 = -i \gamma^0 \partial_t \psi^\dagger##
 
Gene Naden said:
Hi Stevendaryl,
Thanks for your input.

I am still wondering; what are the relations between ##\partial_{x_\mu}##, (##\partial_{x_\mu})^\dagger## and ##\partial^{x_\mu}##?

By multiplying it out, I have satisfied myself that ##-i \partial_t \psi^\dagger \gamma^0 = -i \gamma^0 \partial_t \psi^\dagger##. It is because ##\gamma^0## is symmetric and ##\partial_t \psi^\dagger## is a vector rather than a matrix.

In the usual way of doing the Dirac equation, [itex]\psi[/itex] is a column matrix, and [itex]\psi^\dagger[/itex] is a row matrix, and [itex]\gamma^0[/itex] is a square matrix. So you can't multiply [itex]\gamma^0 \psi^\dagger[/itex]. If [itex]A[/itex] is a matrix with [itex]n[/itex] columns and [itex]m[/itex] rows, and [itex]B[/itex] is a matrix with [itex]a[/itex] columns and [itex]b[/itex] rows, then [itex]A B[/itex] only makes sense if [itex]n = b[/itex].
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Gene Naden
Yes, Stevendaryl, I see what you mean. Now I need to review my derivation of 1.5.58. I must have gotten confused. Thanks for asserting reality for me!
 
There is something a little confusing about the [itex]\dagger[/itex] operator when applied to the Dirac equation. In the case of the Schrödinger equation, [itex]\dagger[/itex] means Hermitian conjugate, which has the definition:

[itex]\langle \psi | A^\dagger \phi\rangle = \langle A \psi|\phi \rangle[/itex]

So according to this definition, [itex](\partial_x)^\dagger = - \partial_x[/itex], because

[itex]\langle (-\partial_x \psi) | \phi \rangle= - \int dx \frac{d \psi^*}{dx} \phi = - \int dx [\frac{d}{dx} (\psi^* \phi) - \psi^* \frac{d\phi}{dx}] = + \int dx \psi^* \frac{d\phi}{dx}= \langle \psi| \partial_x \phi\rangle[/itex] (the term [itex]\int dx \frac{d}{dx} (\psi^* \phi)[/itex] is zero).

But in the case of the Dirac equation, [itex]\dagger[/itex] means the complex conjugate of the transpose of a matrix. Since [itex]\partial_x[/itex] is neither a matrix, nor imaginary, [itex](\partial_x)^\dagger = \partial_x[/itex].

Perhaps someone with more mathematical knowledge than me can give more details about the relationship between [itex]\dagger[/itex] for matrices and [itex]\dagger[/itex] for Hilbert space elements?
 
Stevendaryl, I see what you mean that ##-\langle \psi | (\partial_x) ^ \dagger \phi \rangle = \langle (-\partial_x \psi) | \phi \rangle= \langle \psi| \partial_x \phi\rangle##based on the definition
stevendaryl said:
⟨ψ|A†ϕ⟩=⟨Aψ|ϕ⟩

Can you please give me some motivation, or a reference, for this definition?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Gene Naden said:
Stevendaryl, I see what you mean that ##-\langle \psi | (\partial_x) ^ \dagger \phi \rangle = \langle (-\partial_x \psi) | \phi \rangle= \langle \psi| \partial_x \phi\rangle##based on the definitionCan you please give me some motivation, or a reference, for this definition?

Thanks

It's described here: https://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node133.html
 
Gene Naden said:
There is a difference; I had
##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k}##
while they had
##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^k}##
Oh crap -- I am going blind.

I am wondering, however, if this difference matters. But since ##x^\mu=g^{\mu\sigma}x_{\sigma}##, it seems to make a difference.
Yes, it does matter. The ##k## in ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^k}## counts as a "downstairs" index. Hence it can be validly contracted with an upstairs index, as in ##\gamma^k##.

Otoh, in ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k}## the ##k## counts as an upstairs index. You can't validly contract 2 upstairs or 2 downstairs indices.

See my earlier post where I argue that ##-i \partial_t \psi^\dagger \gamma^0 = -i \gamma^0 \partial_t \psi^\dagger##
##\gamma^0## is a 4x4 matrix. ##\psi## is a 4-component column spinor. ##\psi^\dagger## is a 4-component row spinor.

Think about ordinary matrices and vectors. If you take a column vector ##v##, what does the transpose ##v^T## look like? Similarly, if you have an ordinary square matrix ##M##, what does ##(Mv)^T## look like? :oldwink:
 
Thanks for your response, strangerep.

Yeah, ##\gamma^0 \partial_t \psi^\dagger## is just nonsense, as stevendaryl pointed out. Sorry about that.