Hershey park/ Physics day Problems

• Thread starter ariol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker went on a trip to Hershey Park for Physics Day and was given a packet of problems to solve for bonus points. They have already completed one problem, but are struggling with others, specifically the comet problems. They are seeking help and have provided their progress and calculations so far.
ariol
Hershey park/ Physics day Problems- Help please.

Hi, I recently went on a trip with my class to hershey park on physics day and we were given this packet (the link is below) to solve problems for bonus points. If anyone could help me out that would be great. I have already done the sidewinder, but some of the other ones are quite hard. Thanks.

http://www.hersheypark.com/groups/pdf/physics.pdf

Okay for the comet, I have made it this far:

(Section one)

a.) For the total energy at the top I calculated EP=m*g*http://www.symbols.com/pics/small/28/2801.gif h=1.0*10^2[/URL] Joules

b.) For the time I got 2.7 seconds
Velocity= length of the train/time=14.51 m/s
Ek=.5*m*v^2=37105.9 Joules

c.) Er=Ep+Ex= 1,037,105.9 Joules

(section two)

t=1.6 seconds
v= train lenght/time= m/s
Ek=.5*m*v^2= 124,443.9 Joules

I'm not sure how to figure out some of the second page of Comet ones. Especially how to graph the potential energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pick a problem, show us your work and where you got stuck, and you'll get plenty of help. (I'll move this to Intro Physics, where such questions belong.)

Hi there! It sounds like you've made some good progress on the Comet problem. To graph the potential energy, you can plot the height on the x-axis and the potential energy on the y-axis. The equation for potential energy is EP=mgh, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height. So for each height, you can calculate the potential energy and plot it on the graph. Then, you can connect the points to create a smooth curve.

As for the other problems, it's important to remember the basic principles of physics such as conservation of energy and Newton's laws of motion. It may also be helpful to break down the problems into smaller parts and use equations that you have already learned. Don't be afraid to ask your teacher or classmates for help, as working together can often lead to a better understanding of the material. Good luck!

What are the rides at Hershey park like?

The rides at Hershey park are designed to provide a thrilling and enjoyable experience for visitors. They range from roller coasters to water rides and cater to people of all ages. The park also offers mild and intense rides, so there is something for everyone.

How do roller coasters at Hershey park work?

Roller coasters at Hershey park use the principles of physics, particularly gravity and momentum, to propel the cars along the track. The initial potential energy from the first hill is converted into kinetic energy as the cars move through the track, creating the sensation of speed and drops.

What safety measures are in place for rides at Hershey park?

Hershey park takes safety very seriously and has strict regulations in place for all rides. Each ride is inspected daily by trained technicians, and they undergo thorough maintenance checks regularly. Additionally, riders must meet height and weight requirements, and all passengers must be properly secured with safety restraints.

What educational opportunities are available at Hershey park's Physics day?

Hershey park's Physics day is a special event designed for students to learn about the principles of physics in a fun and engaging way. The event includes interactive demonstrations, hands-on activities, and educational workshops led by trained educators. Students also have the opportunity to apply their knowledge by riding the park's attractions and observing the physics concepts in action.

What is the significance of Hershey park's location for its rides?

Hershey park is located on a hill, which provides the perfect elevation for gravity-powered rides. The park's designers utilized this natural feature to create thrilling drops and turns for their roller coasters, making it a unique and exciting experience for visitors.