Friction problem with loop (work and energy)

In summary, the problem asks for an estimate of the work done by friction on a loop with an inital velocity of 0. The student is unable to find a reliable solution.
pulcroman
Hello, i appreciate your help!

1. Homework Statement
In this website the drawing of the situation in the first exercise can be seen, for better understanding.
http://wwwprof.uniandes.edu.co/~gtel...s-semana10.pdf

The problem asks me to determine the minimum height h to allow an amousement park car to complete a loop with radius r without falling. The inicial velocity is 0. In the beginning, i had to do it without friction, with no problem. The horribleness started when i tried to do it with friction, more specifically in the loop part.
I use v1 for the speed after it falls the height h, v2 for the time it continues by the flat, and v3 for the speed in the tallest part of the loop. (Question in the last sentencie, for the impatient readers :) )

2. Homework Equations

E2-E1=-W; W=Fk dx; Fk=µk N. E(1,2)= Ek+Ep

3. The Attempt at a Solution

For the beginning of the movement, the fall from the height h to the floor, assuming is a straight plane is given by:
m g h - 1/2 m v1^2 = -µk m g cosø (h/senø)<---that last is the distance from h.
v1=√(2 g h-g h µk cotø) <---- i'll go fast, in he first steps. I just simplified v1.

for the second part, when the car moved a small part on a flat, i had
1/2 m v2^2 - 1/2 mv1^2=-µk m g cos ø x <--- x=dx, distance.
v2=√(2gh - g h µk cotø -2 g x µk)

Now, in the loop.
I've tried everything, and can't come up with a reliable solution. I know i can use
1/2 m v3^2+ mg(2r) - 1/2 m v2^2=-Fk x2

well, x2 is πr because it'll just half the circle, but I am having a real bad time finding the normal force for the Fk=µk N. Because, for a circular movement i got:
N= (m v^2)/r + m g cos ø
is v changing? if i integrate for ø from 0 to π it'll give 0! if i want to find the tangential acceleration i'll complicate myself even more. So, in a summary, the big question i want to ask is

How do you estimate the work made by friction on a loop with given inicial velocity, so the car won't fall? Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The link does not work. Show a picture in an other way. ehild

ok, there it goes http://wwwprof.uniandes.edu.co/~gtellez/fisica1/ejercicios-semana10.pdf

i wanted to add: what will be the TOTAL work made by friction passing on half of a loop (this is for purposes of integration, if necessary !)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is friction and how does it affect a loop?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of objects in contact with each other. In the case of a loop, friction can affect the speed and energy of an object as it moves around the loop. Friction can cause the object to slow down and lose energy.

2. What is the work-energy principle and how does it relate to friction in a loop?

The work-energy principle states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In the context of a loop, work is done against friction as the object moves around the loop, resulting in a decrease in kinetic energy.

3. How does the coefficient of friction impact the energy of an object in a loop?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the frictional force between two surfaces. The higher the coefficient of friction, the more work is done against friction as the object moves around the loop, resulting in a greater loss of energy.

4. Can friction ever be beneficial in a loop?

In some cases, a small amount of friction can be beneficial in a loop. It can help the object maintain its speed and prevent it from slipping off the loop. However, too much friction can cause the object to slow down too much and potentially come to a stop.

5. How can we reduce the effects of friction in a loop?

There are a few ways to reduce the effects of friction in a loop. One way is to use a lubricant, such as oil or grease, to reduce the friction between the surfaces. Another way is to use smoother materials for the surfaces in contact, which can also reduce the friction. Additionally, reducing the angle of the loop can also decrease the effects of friction.