1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hey, I need a bit of help with a proof, please!

1. Jan 4, 2006 #1
    Here's the item needing to be proofed (this is not homework, but I'm very interested in it).

Show that for each odd prime number y, there is exactly one positive integer x such that x(x+y) is a perfect square.

Thanks for any help/leads, etc..

-Steve

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2006 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If x(x+y) is a perfect square, show that x and x+p are relatively prime. What can you then say about x?

4. Jan 17, 2006 #3
    hmm....this looks stalled, so I'll write the whole proof :smile:
    Since [tex]x(x+y)[/tex] is a perfect square, [tex]x[/tex] must be a perfect square.

Proof: [tex]x(x+y)[/tex] can be of [tex]a^2b^2[/tex] form or [tex]a^2 b^2 c^2[/tex] form. If [tex]x[/tex] isn't a perfect squre, [tex]x[/tex] can be of one of forms: [tex]x=a[/tex] or [tex]x=a^2 b[/tex], and then [tex]x+y = a b^2[/tex] or [tex]x+y=b[/tex] or [tex]x+y=b c^2[/tex] respectively, but in any case, [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]x+y[/tex] has a common measure. This contradicts the fact [tex]y[/tex] is a prime number.

Now we can write [tex]x = a^2[/tex] and so [tex]x+y=d^2[/tex]. Then [tex]y =(x+y) - x = d^2 - a^2 = (d+a)(d-a)[/tex]. Now that [tex]y[/tex] is a prime number, [tex]d-a[/tex] must be 1 (notice [tex]y[/tex] cannnot be factorized)!! So [tex]d = a+1[/tex] and [tex]y = d+a = 2a+1[/tex]. So [tex]x = a^2 = ((y-1)/2)^2[/tex] and this is the only possible value of [tex]x[/tex].

This is just my solution, so there may be better solutions.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook