Hi. a simple question on endothermic fusion

In summary: Theoretically, it is possible to use a continuous endothermic fusion reaction as a high-energy heat sink. However, doing so would require temperatures of millions of degrees, which is hardly feasible. As for using an electromagnetic implosion to create a plasma for fusion, this technology is outdated and not currently being used to create energy.
duration
Would it be feasible theoretically to use a continuous endothermic fusion reaction as a high-energy heat sink?
Would such a process be capable of producing unstable isotopes for use in nuclear fission?

I ask this as a science fiction writer and I would dearly love input and even direction or further information on the subject. Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it will be possible to do that at normal temperature, you know, nucleus need enough energy to get over Columb potential to get close enough to become another kind of nucleus. Typically the temperature is millions of degrees.

So if a device could successfully enter an area where such temperatures occur naturally, such as the core of a star, (which I know seems entirely unreasonable as such a device would be crushed, dispersed, and fused itself) then at least the heat sink portion of that question is a positive?

Do the temperature requirements for nuclear fusion increase as the nuclei become heavier, or just the total energy? I have done a bit of research and most texts are unclear (I'm an author not a physicist!) and I can't really find any pertinent information on the subject.

I have also heard of electromagnetic fields containing and compressing plasma composed of hydrogen for the purpose of exothermic fusion, would this same process theoretically work for an endothermic reaction?

Last edited:
Your idea is 65 years old. Plutonium 239 is produced by the fusion of a neutron and Uranium 238.

I'm aware of the process used to produce 239 for weaponry, however, I was more interested in using the process as an extremely fast mechanism for simultaneously reducing heat as well as producing fuel.

If this isn't speculatively impossible, I'd like to use it as a plot device, somewhat of a (fictional) bridge between solid fuel propulsion and something like the fabled Alcubierre drive, essentially storing the heat of a star

I know that the current method for synthesizing 239 involves particle accelerators as opposed to using electromagnetic implosion on plasma. I was asking if it's theoretically possible or impossible to use thermal energy in the order of a solar core as opposed to long distance collisions.

Last edited:

1. What is endothermic fusion?

Endothermic fusion is a type of nuclear reaction in which two or more atomic nuclei come together to form a heavier nucleus, releasing energy in the process. This process requires external energy to initiate the fusion reaction.

2. How does endothermic fusion differ from exothermic fusion?

Endothermic fusion and exothermic fusion are two types of nuclear reactions that involve the combining of atomic nuclei to form a heavier nucleus. The main difference between the two is that endothermic fusion requires external energy to initiate the reaction, while exothermic fusion releases energy as a byproduct of the reaction.

3. What are some examples of endothermic fusion reactions?

Some examples of endothermic fusion reactions include the fusion of hydrogen nuclei to form helium in the core of the sun, and the fusion of deuterium and tritium to form helium in nuclear fusion reactors.

4. Why is endothermic fusion important?

Endothermic fusion is important because it is the process by which stars, including our sun, produce energy. It is also a potential source of clean and almost limitless energy for human use, as it produces no greenhouse gases or radioactive waste.

5. What are the challenges of achieving endothermic fusion on Earth?

One of the main challenges of achieving endothermic fusion on Earth is the extremely high temperatures and pressures that are required to initiate and sustain the reaction. Additionally, controlling and containing the reaction is a major technical challenge that scientists are still working to overcome.