Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi everybody,this is my first post. So sorry for the possible

1. Jun 28, 2011 #1
    Hi everybody,
    this is my first post. So sorry for the possible trivial question.
    Can someone explain me what is Y-bjorken?
    And what is the difference with X-bjorken?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2011 #2
    Re: Y-Bjorken

Bjorken X is a scaling variable used in deep inelastic scattering..for more info on this experiment see this:

http://ikpe1101.ikp.kfa-juelich.de/briefbook_part_detectors/node42.html#41 [Broken]

It gives the momentum fraction carried by an inclusively observed particle. Structure functions are mainly dependent on this variable.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Jun 28, 2011 #3

Bjorken discovered what is known as light-cone scaling, (or "Bjorken scaling") a phenomenon in the deep inelastic scattering of light on strongly interacting particles, known as hadrons (such as protons and neutrons)... think that's what you're looking for.

5. Jul 13, 2011 #4

I have a question related to the Bjorken Y-variable which I don't believe has been covered by the link so far. How does one calculate the scattering angle [itex]$\theta$[\latex] from the Bjorken Y variable?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook