1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi guys! I'm new Rohit and I'm new here

  1. May 30, 2016 #1
    So i'm 16 years old. i'm in the edexel gcse curriculum, and i'm in SR5 currently (that'll be grade 11 or highschool for the americans). I'm gonna be taking my Alevels soon. I'm really into physics and Maths. My favorite scientists are Neil Degrasse Tyson, Nikola Tesla, Einstein and a lot more. I am really looking into the feild of physics, anything that has to do with space or the universe in general. I've got a year more and I'd head off to to uni. So my question is, what bachelor program should i take? And what are the requirements in the alevel and olevel marks for getting into a uni with that certain degree?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2016 #2
    I am assuming your from the uk as youre doing a-levels. if you want to do physics you need to take maths, physics and preferably (but not essential but will make your application more competitive) further maths, the other subject you take doesnt matter. The entry grades for physics range wildly from needing BCC to A*A*A* at A-level dependent on where you want to go (you will need to look into this). Outside of the top 4/5 UK unis, gcses dont matter too much but you will need at least passes in science, maths and english plus a few others.

    As for which physics course, I recommend taking MPhys Physics if your interests lie in just physics. There are some joint honors courses but not many (this is where you study 2 subjects at university, most common is maths and physics (this is essentially what I do))

    While I dont recommend using league tables much when deciding a university, a good rule of thumb is the higher up the league tables you go the more advanced content in later years you study (but the difference between say 10th and 15th will be little, I mean when you compare 5th to say 25th)
  4. May 31, 2016 #3
    I am interested in Cars (Automobile Engineering), The space (astrophysics) and quantum physics studies. From what i know, you need a mechaninal engineering degree for the bachelors and then a masters specialization later on. What I wanna know is how the process of studies in physics works? I now that astrophyics is advances studies in the masters degree, but what should i take for my Bachelors then? Just the Bachelor in physics? which subjects would be required?
    And for cars, which subjects would you recommend?
  5. May 31, 2016 #4
    Well if you want to go be a physicist and work in astrophysics etc then you need a undergraduate degree in physics not engineering, if you want to work in automobile engineering then I would imagine a mechanical engineering degree would be required.

    The MPhys course is a 4 year undergraduate course so the first 3 years are the same as the bachelors course and you do an additional 4th year which is designed for people which want to go onto a phd (this is not the same as a postgraduate masters degree which is what you are talking about)

    To go into astrophysics you would need to do an undergraduate degree in physics (either Bsc pr mphys but preferably the latter) then go onto do a phd in an area of astrophysics (you need a undergrad in physics as this provides the foundations for more advanced studies in a specialized area) then you can apply for post doc jobs and do research in astrophysics and then if youre good + bit lucky you get a fellowship then university position conducting research and lecturing

    I did say before for physics you need to study maths and physics at A-level and preferably but not required further maths then another subject of your choosing (it doesnt really matter)

    You do NOT want to do a mechanical engineering degree for going into physics, you want to do a physics degree then a phd

    If youre interested in engineering at university then you will still need to do maths and phyiscs at A-level + another 2 of your choice. But you wont get into astrophysics by doing a mechanical engineering degree as a post grad masters is normally not enough you need an undergraduate degree in physics.
  6. Jun 1, 2016 #5
    Thanks a lot! I'd like to talk to you in personal message if possible to understand further. Is there any way can contact you?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted