Hi, How do I find the height of the triangle , the triangle is set

In summary, to find the height of a triangle with a 30 degree angle and a length of 5 meters, you need to use the tangent function (tan 30 = opposite/adjacent) and solve for the unknown side, which would be the height. This can be done using a calculator, making sure it is in degree mode.
Pin Head
Hi,
How do I find the height of the triangle , the triangle is set at 30 degrees and the length is 5 meters any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• triangle.JPG
    triangle.JPG
    3.8 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org

Pin Head said:
Hi,
How do I find the height of the triangle , the triangle is set at 30 degrees and the length is 5 meters any help would be appreciated.

Can you tell us what you know about trig so far? What learning resources are you using?

This page may be helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometry

Hi,
I' ve been learning trig using Khan accademy

Pin Head said:
Hi,

Was the wikipedia page helpful? It answers your original question...

Pin Head said:
Hi,

Wow, that's a crazy website! So much to learn! :biggrin:

Okay I check out the wiki page and I am still a little confused ,This is what I'm thinking, is that I have to use tan = opposite / adjacent because I know the adjacent is 5 meters and I'm figuring that opposite is 90 degrees is this right

Pin Head said:
Okay I check out the wiki page and I am still a little confused ,This is what I'm thinking, is that I have to use tan = opposite / adjacent because I know the adjacent is 5 meters and I'm figuring that opposite is 90 degrees is this right

You are close. The tan(theta) = opposite side from the angle / adjacent side to the angle.

Your angle is the 30 degrees, and the 5 meter side is adjacent to it. So you have:

tan (30 degrees) = opposite side / 5m

Do you have a calculator that has tan(theta) on it? If so, you should be able to figure out the answer now. Post it for us to check...

Pin Head said:

That's the right function to use, but the opposite is the opposite side, the height you want to find.

Let h be the length of the opposite side. Now write an equation that involves the tangent of the angle you know, and the two sides, then solve for the unknown side h.

Hi,
So I use my calculator I keyed tan 30 / 5 and got 0.115470053 did I calculate this right or was I supposed to put tan 30 * 5 = 2.886751346 0r have I got this completely totally wrong?

That value is way off.

Before doing anything with your calculator, write down the equation that I suggested. Then solve for the unknown, and then use your calculator. (Make sure it is in degree mode.)

1. What is the formula for finding the height of a triangle?

The formula for finding the height of a triangle is: h = (2A)/b, where h is the height, A is the area of the triangle, and b is the base of the triangle.

2. How do you measure the base and area of a triangle?

The base of a triangle can be measured by finding the length of one of its sides. The area of a triangle can be measured by multiplying the base by the height and then dividing by 2.

3. Can the height of a triangle be negative?

No, the height of a triangle cannot be negative. It is a measurement of distance and therefore must be a positive value.

4. Is there a specific unit for measuring the height of a triangle?

The height of a triangle can be measured in any unit of length, such as inches, centimeters, or meters. It is important to use the same unit for all measurements in order to get an accurate result.

5. How does the height of a triangle affect its area?

The height of a triangle is directly proportional to its area. This means that as the height increases, the area also increases. Conversely, if the height decreases, the area will also decrease.