Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi! Question related to Gears and their chemical composition

1. Apr 26, 2015 #1
    Hi ! This is Mustafa. I recently did my bachelor's and started working with Honda Motors.

So my manager asked me to do a little research regarding the Gear type (SCM415H) used. I have to check how varying the chemical composition of each element will result in the properties of the gear itself. Here is the list of elements and the standard compositions:

C (0.12-0.18%)
    Si (0.15-0.35%)
    Mn (0.55-0.90%)
    P (0.03 max)
    S (0.03 max)
    Cr (0.85-1.25%)
    Mo (0.15-0.30%)

I am not great with chemistry (since I am a design&simulation engineer) and cant find alot of help on the internet. I need to know the specifics, how reducing and increasing the levels of each element will change the properties of the gear.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

What you are interested in is not really Chemistry but Materials science.

Here's a reference to some of its concepts and toward the end are some plots of for how some steels respond based on carbon content...

http://people.virginia.edu/~lz2n/mse209/Chapter6.pdf

For gears, shearing is an important concept. I once assisted a machinist who maintained the college clock. Every winter it would freeze up and so to prevent major repairs he used a brass gear at a key spot that would shear and relieve the stress to the rest of the mechanism. He chose brass over steel because the brass sheared at a lower amount of force applied by the clock motor.

4. Apr 26, 2015 #3

Thankyou Jedi

I did go through the file and it mostly covers the properties. It however does not let me know how varying their compositions will effect the material (in this case a gear)

I did find some info but was hoping for a little specif answer.

Here:

Manganese: Used for increasing the hardness and strength of a gear. However it decreases ductility and weldability and effects the hardenability of steel.

I am looking for something like this about the elements mentioned above that are added in the manufacturing of a transmission gear.

5. Apr 26, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

6. Apr 26, 2015 #5
    Thanks. I've managed to find I what I was looking for. Where can I find the microstructure details on the Jis steel scm415h?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook