Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hiding the url from history in chrome and android

1. Apr 11, 2016 #1
    Is there a way of coding a website such that the URL not sticks in history of the user afterwards? It is possible in iOS. This is a part of the trick that we are using, since nobody would want a website that is not shown in history without going in incognito mode.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2016 #2

Borg

Gold Member

Not as far as I know. Browser settings are on the client side and cannot be controlled from a website.

4. Apr 11, 2016 #3
    But then how is it possible in iOS?

5. Apr 11, 2016 #4

Borg

Gold Member

You're the one saying that it's possible in iOS. I haven't worked with that to know if it's a feature that they allow. It seems like a big security hole to allow a website to control settings on a client's system.

6. Apr 13, 2016 #5
    Can it be done via a javascript code? Javascript has many effects on the client.
    Or if that is not possible can we trick the browser history to store URL address as an alias by some kind of meta tag?

7. Apr 13, 2016 #6
    It can't touch browser settings and thankfully.

8. Apr 13, 2016 #7
    No, history is protected from javascript access and implemented in browser specific ways. It's designed that way on purpose for security, you don't want sites to know what other sites you have been visiting. It's not possible in any way that will be consistent and permanent.

9. Apr 13, 2016 #8
    I was searching through net to find some answers and got a thread that it can be done via javascript.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8125585/how-to-avoid-including-a-page-in-the-browsing-history

10. Apr 13, 2016 #9

rbelli1

Gold Member

In HTML5 you get some more options:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/History_API

I don't know if any of this is blocked for security reasons by any browsers. If not I wish that sites would use it to preserve the back button. Sites that break the back button should be blacklisted by all browsers, OS's, and federal and state statute.

BoB

11. Apr 13, 2016 #10
    I don't want to sound negative, but did you try what the answer says in that link? Because I tried it and it doesn't work for me. Neither of the answers. The linked thread is from 2011, I tried it on Firefox and it still saved the history besides appearing in the URL bar. Perhaps things have changed since 2011 with the way browsers manage that kind of redirection.

On the other hand, this works if the page requesting the load is in the same server:
    Code (Javascript):
    $('YourReplacementDivisionID').load( "theHiddenPage.html" );
    Where:

YourReplacementDivisionID -
    is the ID you give to a division where you will load the page you don't want appearing in the history and url window.
    theHiddenPage.html - is the page with the content that you don't want to appear in the history and URL.

You need of course to load jQuery before using this code and add the HTML elements like divisions and whatnot. Here is some more information on the load method of jQuery for a more customized loading: http://api.jquery.com/load/

12. Apr 13, 2016 #11

rbelli1

Gold Member

Raghav Gupta why exactly do you want to fiddle with history?

BoB

13. Apr 13, 2016 #12

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I was wondering the same thing...

14. Apr 13, 2016 #13

rbelli1

Gold Member

Is this the first step to killing Hitler?

BoB

15. Apr 13, 2016 #14

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

OP, in this thread and in another, you're discussing things which, while not exactly illegal, are certainly antisocial. You probably should explain what you are doing.

16. Apr 13, 2016 #15
    If he tells you he's gonna have to kill you

17. Apr 29, 2016 #16
    I was going through new things you can do on websites, so I was fascinated by it. Like Ajax, Mathjax, transparent video of video spokeperson, URL masking.
    So can we mask our URL by typing our URL but it gets replaced by wikipedia URL, showing our webpage? Eventually it leads to wikipedia history being stored in browser.
    Like here in PF you can mask site like wikipedia with yahoo by using bb codes
    yahoo.com

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted