1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hieght of a volume in a cylinder on its side, with known volume.

1. Dec 31, 2007 #1
    This is my first post and is for an applied project (not for a class) but I thought this was the best place to ask for help.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a cylindar on its side, with volume V, length L, and Radius R, what is height (h) of liquid. I have fomula for volume as a function of radius, length, and height, but when I try to solve for h, things get difficult.

2. Relevant equations
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) divide both sides by L
    2) square both sides
    3) expand polynomials
    4) get stuck, post this message

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2007 #2
    Did you come up with that formula or was it provided and you have to solve for h?

[tex]\cos^{-1}(\frac{R-h}{R})=\frac{\mbox{adjacent}}{\mbox{hypotenuse}}[/tex]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  4. Dec 31, 2007 #3
    It was provided for me and I'm trying to solve for h. It is possible that there is a different approach to the problem that solves for h directly (via caluclus) but I have not found it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?