Higgs boson re-discovery from a CERN dataset (for a project)

In summary, the speaker is working on a seminar project about elementary particles and is trying to rediscover the Higgs boson from a dataset obtained from CERN. They are struggling to understand how to identify the gap in the invariant mass diagram around the Higgs boson mass of 125 GeV. The speaker has watched CERN's official video on the Higgs discovery and has looked at code implementations, but is still unsure how to see the gap around 125 GeV. They have also plotted histograms of Z boson invariant masses, but have not seen anything unusual. They are asking for more information on the dataset and the analysis methods used. They also mention that one Z boson is off shell, so it cannot be included in
omerel
Homework Statement
Seminar Project
Relevant Equations
H -> ZZ -> 4l (muons)
Hi everyone!
I'm working on a seminar project on elementary particles, and I'm supposed to introduce the LHC and rediscover the Higgs boson from a dataset I got from CERN open source.
I don't understand how am I supposed to discover the gap (in the invariant mass diagram) around the Higgs boson mass (125 GeV).
I've watched CERN's official video on the Higgs discovery (Higgs boson decay to two photons), and several code implementations relevant to my problem (H->ZZ->4l) and couldn't understand the idea of how you actually see the gap around 125 GeV?
When I plot the histogram of Z boson invariant masses, I do not see anything unusual.
For your convenience, I attached two of my histograms- one for Z boson pairs invariant mass (i.e came from the same decay) and the second is the invariant mass of a single Z boson invariant mass. The invariant mass is in GeV units. pairs.PNG

Attachments

• single.PNG
    single.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 74
Physics news on Phys.org
What is this gap you are talking about?

What is the dataset you are looking at? Is it big enough to see the Higgs? The Z peak seems awfully small.

Can you provide more information on how you analyzed the data? E.g. cuts used and so on. Also provide a link to the dataset

One Z is off shell so you can not write "invariant mass of two Z" here

1. What is the Higgs boson and why is its re-discovery significant?

The Higgs boson is a subatomic particle that was first theorized in the 1960s as a crucial component of the Standard Model of particle physics. Its re-discovery in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN confirmed the existence of this particle and helped to explain how other particles acquire mass. This discovery was significant because it filled a major gap in our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

2. How was the Higgs boson re-discovered from a CERN dataset?

The Higgs boson was re-discovered by analyzing data collected from the LHC, which is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator. The LHC collides protons at high energies, producing a wide variety of particles, including the Higgs boson. Scientists used sophisticated detectors and algorithms to sift through the massive amounts of data and identify the unique signature of the Higgs boson.

3. What were the key findings from the Higgs boson re-discovery at CERN?

The key findings from the Higgs boson re-discovery at CERN were the confirmation of the particle's existence, its mass, and its interactions with other particles. This provided strong evidence for the validity of the Standard Model and opened up new avenues for research in particle physics.

4. How does the re-discovery of the Higgs boson impact our understanding of the universe?

The re-discovery of the Higgs boson has significantly advanced our understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws. It has helped to explain how particles acquire mass and has confirmed the existence of the Higgs field, which is thought to permeate the entire universe and give particles their mass. This discovery has also provided new insights into the origins of the universe and the fundamental forces that govern it.

5. What are the potential implications of the Higgs boson re-discovery for future research?

The Higgs boson re-discovery has opened up new opportunities for future research in particle physics. It has provided a deeper understanding of the Standard Model and has identified potential areas for further exploration, such as the study of dark matter and the search for new particles. This discovery has also paved the way for the development of new technologies and innovations, which could have a significant impact on various fields of science and technology in the future.