Higgs fermion … the march is over … ?

In summary: Fermions are charged under the Lorentz group. Giving things vacuum expectation values automatically breaks the symmetries which they are charged under---this is how the higgs mechanism works. This higgs is charged under SU(2)xU(1), so it breaks SU(2)xU(1) when it gets a VEV.Because physics is Lorentz Invariant inasmuch as we can tell, the higgs MUST be a boson. Otherwise we wouldn't have 4-d Lorentz invariance.This is how I understand it---if I am mistaken please let me know so I can fix it! :)
tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Physics news on Phys.org
tiny-tim said:
Good morning everyone! :smile:

What do people think of the Higgs fermion candidate reportedly being studied at the Albanian reactor at Loöf Lirpana? … :confused:

I heard reports that it was found at an accelerator in the Duchy of Grand Fenwick.

George Jones said:
I heard reports that it was found at an accelerator in the Duchy of Grand Fenwick.

Hi George! :smile:

erm … wasn't that the µ-ose particle? :redface:

George Jones said:

*chuckles*

tiny-tim said:
Hi George! :smile:

erm … wasn't that the µ-ose particle? :redface:

I'm not sure, but I think Chauncey might know. :biggrin:

George Jones said:
I'm not sure, but I think Chauncey might know. :biggrin:

Well, the vacuum is like a box of chocolates …

… without the menu slip … ! :smile:

Seriously, though … do people think an sHiggs particle can possible be compatible with 26-dimensional superstring theory? :frown:

I think it breaks Lorentz Invariance if it is a fermion...

tiny-tim said:
Well, the vacuum is like a box of chocolates …

… without the menu slip … ! :smile:

Seriously, though … do people think an sHiggs particle can possible be compatible with 26-dimensional superstring theory? :frown:

Note that super string theory is not internally consistent in 26 dimenions. It's in 10 dimensions (or 11 dimensions if non-perturbative effects are taken intoc account and M-theory is considered)

… yes … 10 (or 11) dimensions … !

Thanks, nrqed! :smile:

So I'm thinking that if the Albanian result can be repeated at a more mainstream institution, that would be pretty good confirmation that today we live in 10 (or 11) dimensions?!

It's days like this that make life so good! :smile:

What do other people think … ?

[urgent]

Doesn't anyone have any thoughts on this? :confused:

I googled "Higgs-fermion" and got about 3,000 hits, but none of them seems relevant … :frown:

Help me, someone, pleeeze! :smile:

:redface: … I need answers before midday! … :redface:

BenTheMan said:
I think it breaks Lorentz Invariance if it is a fermion...

I think most likely if there are mediating particles it seems from what I know, which is by no means a lot, A boson and graviton configuration would make the most sense. In fact no mediation at all by particles probably makes more sense than a fermion. Is that what you mean tiny-tim? Are you talking about the current effort to look for the Higg's Boson rather than a fermion?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_mechanism

Explains why the current theoretical model expects a boson - gauge boson configuration with a neutral particle.

Last edited:
Hi Schrodinger's Dog! :smile:

Thanks for replying!

I was primarily concerned about the hard experimental results from the Loof Lirpana reactor (well, hard if confirmed), rather than with dubious mathematical theory.

Perhaps our new link with Scientific American (I saw your post there) might throw some light on this? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Schrodinger's Dog! :smile:

Thanks for replying!

I was primarily concerned about the hard experimental results from the Loof Lirpana reactor (well, hard if confirmed), rather than with dubious mathematical theory.

Perhaps our new link with Scientific American (I saw your post there) might throw some light on this? :smile:

I'm afraid I've not heard anything about this experiment, and like you say Google is equally quiet?

George Jones said:

Another one of their schemes to get foreign aid from the U.S., no doubt. :rolleyes:

… strange that it's only in Albania …

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I'm afraid I've not heard anything about this experiment, and like you say Google is equally quiet?

hmm … what you might call "believable but incredible". :frown:

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I think most likely if there are mediating particles it seems from what I know, which is by no means a lot, A boson and graviton configuration would make the most sense. In fact no mediation at all by particles probably makes more sense than a fermion. Is that what you mean tiny-tim? Are you talking about the current effort to look for the Higg's Boson rather than a fermion?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_mechanism

Explains why the current theoretical model expects a boson - gauge boson configuration with a neutral particle.

Hi Schroedinger---

Fermions are charged under the Lorentz group. Giving things vacuum expectation values automatically breaks the symmetries which they are charged under---this is how the higgs mechanism works. This higgs is charged under SU(2)xU(1), so it breaks SU(2)xU(1) when it gets a VEV.

Because physics is Lorentz Invariant inasmuch as we can tell, the higgs MUST be a boson. Otherwise we wouldn't have 4-d Lorentz invariance.

This is how I understand it---if I am mistaken please let me know.

jtbell said:
Another one of their schemes to get foreign aid from the U.S., no doubt. :rolleyes:
But they have weapons of mass destruction.

It's nice to see that America has adopted the Duchy's constitution of having an hereditary president and hereditary opposition.

BenTheMan said:
Hi Schroedinger---

Fermions are charged under the Lorentz group. Giving things vacuum expectation values automatically breaks the symmetries which they are charged under---this is how the higgs mechanism works. This higgs is charged under SU(2)xU(1), so it breaks SU(2)xU(1) when it gets a VEV.

Because physics is Lorentz Invariant inasmuch as we can tell, the higgs MUST be a boson. Otherwise we wouldn't have 4-d Lorentz invariance.

This is how I understand it---if I am mistaken please let me know.

Ben you know more than me. I was aware that the Higgs was expected to be commutative not anti commutative. But beyond that? So I'll take your word for it. Like I said I'm not an expert in this area. :smile:

Er correction not an expert on any area. :tongue2:

tiny-tim said:
hmm … what you might call "believable but incredible". :frown:

EDIT: Well it is believable, credible? :biggrin: But nonsense. ie April 1st

Last edited:
Well, the morning is over now, even in Alaska …

Perhaps I should have mentioned that Loöf Lirpana is an anti-particle accelerator? :redface:

(Technically, it's a Newton III series equal-and-opposite reactor.)

Did I get anyone?

Own up now! :smile:

Only until I read the thread title. The March is over... hehe.

If you quote my last post, you'll notice that I wasn't fooled for long. Good one though. :smile:

1. What is a Higgs fermion?

A Higgs fermion is a hypothetical, elementary particle that is predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics. It is thought to be responsible for giving other particles their mass through the Higgs mechanism.

2. How does the Higgs fermion relate to the "march is over"?

The "march is over" refers to the completion of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) experiment, which was designed to search for the Higgs boson. The discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 confirmed the existence of the Higgs field and its associated particle, the Higgs fermion.

3. Why is the discovery of the Higgs fermion significant?

The discovery of the Higgs fermion is significant because it helps to complete the Standard Model of particle physics and provides a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It also helps to explain the origin of mass and how particles acquire their mass.

4. What are the potential implications of the discovery of the Higgs fermion?

The discovery of the Higgs fermion could have various implications in the fields of particle physics, cosmology, and technology. It could help to further our understanding of the universe and potentially lead to new discoveries in physics. It could also have practical applications in areas such as energy production and medical imaging.

5. Are there any remaining questions about the Higgs fermion?

While the discovery of the Higgs fermion is a significant breakthrough, there are still many unanswered questions about its properties and behavior. Scientists are continuing to study the Higgs boson and fermion to gain a deeper understanding of its role in the universe and to potentially uncover new physics beyond the Standard Model.