Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High frequencies - dispersive and directional?

1. Jul 30, 2012 #1
    My understanding is that as frequency increases, the wave (or waves, rather) become more directional.

However, Plasma Antennas' site specifies operation between 1 and 100GHz, and states their product tightly focussess the beam in order to decrease dispersion.

Unless I am totally missing something (which is fairly probable - our dialogue won't have to be so long and confused if it is the case!) dispersion is the same as directionality.

i.e. something that disperses, is 'not very directional'.

I assume I have dispersion wrong, because otherwise I don't understand why that's necessary - it threw me off for a minute and I started talking about how un-directional high frequency waves were.

TIA,

~OJFord

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can reduce the minimal divergence with higher frequencies, if your emitter size is fixed. But there is no general rule "higher frequency => more directional" or anything similar.

Dispersion can lead to divergence, too, but they are not the same.

4. Jul 30, 2012 #3
    Ah, so what is dispersion, then?

5. Jul 30, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Different phase velocities for different frequencies, this can lead to different refraction for them.
    Wikipedia article

6. Jul 30, 2012 #5
  7. Jul 30, 2012 #6
    I think that the writers misused the word "focus" rather than dispersion. Maybe they meant, "Our product narrowly collimates the beam in order to decrease dispersion."
    One doesn't focus a beam to decrease dispersion. The more tightly the beam is focused, the faster the beam disperses from the focal point.
    So replace "focusing" with "collimation". I think that will work.
    Words, again!

8. Jul 31, 2012 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook