1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High frequencies - dispersive and directional?

1. Jul 30, 2012 #1
    My understanding is that as frequency increases, the wave (or waves, rather) become more directional.

However, Plasma Antennas' site specifies operation between 1 and 100GHz, and states their product tightly focussess the beam in order to decrease dispersion.

Unless I am totally missing something (which is fairly probable - our dialogue won't have to be so long and confused if it is the case!) dispersion is the same as directionality.

i.e. something that disperses, is 'not very directional'.

I assume I have dispersion wrong, because otherwise I don't understand why that's necessary - it threw me off for a minute and I started talking about how un-directional high frequency waves were.

TIA,

~OJFord

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can reduce the minimal divergence with higher frequencies, if your emitter size is fixed. But there is no general rule "higher frequency => more directional" or anything similar.

Dispersion can lead to divergence, too, but they are not the same.

4. Jul 30, 2012 #3
    Ah, so what is dispersion, then?

5. Jul 30, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Different phase velocities for different frequencies, this can lead to different refraction for them.
    Wikipedia article

6. Jul 30, 2012 #5
  7. Jul 30, 2012 #6
    I think that the writers misused the word "focus" rather than dispersion. Maybe they meant, "Our product narrowly collimates the beam in order to decrease dispersion."
    One doesn't focus a beam to decrease dispersion. The more tightly the beam is focused, the faster the beam disperses from the focal point.
    So replace "focusing" with "collimation". I think that will work.
    Words, again!

8. Jul 31, 2012 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook