High school circuit diagram question

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question about equivalent series resistance and the correct answer, which is not provided as an option. The conversation also touches upon the use of a homework help template for future questions and the concept of voltage dividers. The conversation concludes with the understanding of using voltage dividers to solve the question.
rayclan
Hi all. I got 3 Ohms in this question (top current = bottom current hence equivalent series resistance of top 2 and bottom 2 resistors must also be equal), but is that really the right answer? There is no option for 3 Ohms so I am beginning to doubt myself.
upload_2016-12-28_12-57-47.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-28_12-57-37.png
    upload_2016-12-28_12-57-37.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
Please use the Homework Help Template the next time you start a schoolwork question thread here. Thank you.

Your answer appears incorrect to me. Can you show the work you did to arrive at it? :smile:

berkeman said:
Please use the Homework Help Template the next time you start a schoolwork question thread here. Thank you.

Your answer appears incorrect to me. Can you show the work you did to arrive at it? :smile:

here is my answer: http://imgur.com/a/LJo5Y

Attachments

• DSC_0069.jpg
    DSC_0069.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 356
rayclan said:
here is my answer: http://imgur.com/a/LJo5Y
What can you tell us about voltage dividers? It's not about equal currents in the two branches, it's about equal voltage dividers... :smile:

berkeman said:
What can you tell us about voltage dividers? It's not about equal currents in the two branches, it's about equal voltage dividers... :smile:

ok when i equate the Vout of the top and bottom, i get 1.5V. that is the correct answer but it doesn't make sense in my head. why should the bottom resistances be lower than the top? using the water pressure analogy, wouldn't more electrons want to flow from the 2 ohms to the 3 ohms than R ohms to 4 ohms because they encounter less resistance there than the 4 ohms?

edit: what i am also trying to say is, is there another way to do this aside from using the concept of voltage dividers?

edit: hangon i get it now. thanks very much. I've never seen voltage dividers ever in my life before but it is intuitive.

Likes berkeman
rayclan said:
edit: hangon i get it now.
Sweet, that's what we're here for. Welcome to the PF. :smile:

1. What is a high school circuit diagram?

A high school circuit diagram is a visual representation of an electrical circuit, typically used in science classes to help students understand the flow of electricity. It shows the components of the circuit, such as batteries, resistors, and wires, and how they are connected together.

2. How do I read a high school circuit diagram?

To read a high school circuit diagram, start by identifying the different components in the circuit, such as the power source and the load. Then, follow the lines to see how the components are connected. The lines represent wires, and the symbols represent different components.

3. What is the purpose of a high school circuit diagram?

The purpose of a high school circuit diagram is to help students understand the basics of electrical circuits. By creating and analyzing diagrams, students can learn about concepts such as voltage, current, resistance, and series and parallel circuits.

4. How can I draw a high school circuit diagram?

To draw a high school circuit diagram, you can use a pencil and paper or a computer software program. Start by identifying the components you want to include in your circuit, and then use standard symbols to represent them. Finally, connect the components with lines to show how they are connected.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating a high school circuit diagram?

Some common mistakes to avoid when creating a high school circuit diagram include not labeling components, using incorrect symbols, and not following the correct path for the flow of electricity. It is also important to ensure that all components are connected in a logical and accurate way to accurately represent the circuit.