• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

High-School Physics Practical Investigation- Need Help!

Hey Guys,
I'm a high-school student from Australia, and I am an avid lover of physics! I'm top of my class, however I am not a physicist so please explain things at a level I would understand. I am also new to the forum so i apologize in advance for any mistakes.

As part of my VCE studies, I must conduct a practical investigation and write a report on an area of photonics and light transmission of a signal with 2 variables. The challenge I am having is coming up with something to test. My ideas thus far are:

1. Use a laser to transmit an audio signal across a certain distance to a receiver, and recording the effect that different optical densities in the path of the light would do eg. place plexiglass/lexan/water of varying thickness in front of the laser to see what changes are made to the signal. I would be able to control background light, distance etc.
Or...
2. Use a laser to transmit an audio signal across a certain distance to a receiver, and placing colour filters in the path of the laser and record the effect.
Or...
3. Use a laser to transmit an audio signal across a certain distance to a receiver and place a lens (concave, convex) and record the effect.

Please let me know if my ideas are worth investigating, and any improvements/ new ideas are welcome!

Cheers,
Booker

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
Gold Member
How about running the signal through everyday problems:

simulated fog, rain, smoke, and parked cars ... these all can interfere with the signals.

You can then determine how much "interference generation" can be tolerated by the system.