High-School Physics Practical Investigation- Need Help

In summary, the speaker is a high-school student from Australia who is interested in physics. They are currently working on a practical investigation for their VCE studies and are seeking ideas for testing the transmission of an audio signal using a laser. They suggest using different materials and color filters as potential variables to control and record the effects on the signal. They also mention the possibility of testing the signal in various everyday scenarios such as fog, rain, and parked cars to determine the system's tolerance for interference. They welcome any suggestions or improvements on their ideas.
OnceIWasBooker
Hey Guys,
I'm a high-school student from Australia, and I am an avid lover of physics! I'm top of my class, however I am not a physicist so please explain things at a level I would understand. I am also new to the forum so i apologize in advance for any mistakes.

As part of my VCE studies, I must conduct a practical investigation and write a report on an area of photonics and light transmission of a signal with 2 variables. The challenge I am having is coming up with something to test. My ideas thus far are:

1. Use a laser to transmit an audio signal across a certain distance to a receiver, and recording the effect that different optical densities in the path of the light would do eg. place plexiglass/lexan/water of varying thickness in front of the laser to see what changes are made to the signal. I would be able to control background light, distance etc.
Or...
2. Use a laser to transmit an audio signal across a certain distance to a receiver, and placing colour filters in the path of the laser and record the effect.
Or...
3. Use a laser to transmit an audio signal across a certain distance to a receiver and place a lens (concave, convex) and record the effect.

Please let me know if my ideas are worth investigating, and any improvements/ new ideas are welcome!

Cheers,
Booker

Physics news on Phys.org
How about running the signal through everyday problems:

simulated fog, rain, smoke, and parked cars ... these all can interfere with the signals.

You can then determine how much "interference generation" can be tolerated by the system.

1. What is a high-school physics practical investigation?

A high-school physics practical investigation is an experiment or study that is conducted in a high-school setting to explore and demonstrate various concepts and principles of physics. It involves the use of scientific methods and techniques to collect and analyze data in order to draw conclusions about a specific phenomenon or problem.

2. How do I choose a topic for my high-school physics practical investigation?

When choosing a topic for your high-school physics practical investigation, it is important to consider your interests and the availability of resources and equipment. You can also seek inspiration from everyday experiences or current scientific research. It is also a good idea to consult with your teacher or mentor for guidance on selecting a suitable topic.

3. What is the importance of conducting a high-school physics practical investigation?

A high-school physics practical investigation is important for several reasons. Firstly, it allows you to apply the theoretical concepts you have learned in class to real-world situations, making the learning experience more meaningful and engaging. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as scientific inquiry and experimentation skills. Additionally, it provides an opportunity to explore and discover new knowledge about the world around us.

4. How do I design and conduct a high-school physics practical investigation?

The first step in designing a high-school physics practical investigation is to identify a research question or problem that you want to investigate. Then, you will need to plan and carry out the experiment, which may involve setting up equipment, collecting and analyzing data, and making observations. It is important to follow scientific methods and record all procedures and results accurately. Your teacher or mentor can provide guidance and support throughout the process.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when conducting a high-school physics practical investigation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when conducting a high-school physics practical investigation include not following safety protocols, not properly controlling variables, and not collecting enough data. It is important to carefully plan and prepare for the experiment, and to make sure all equipment is functioning properly. It is also crucial to accurately record and analyze data to ensure reliable results. Additionally, you should always follow ethical guidelines and seek guidance from your teacher or mentor when needed.