1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higher Order Differential Equation: Substitution

1. Nov 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve [itex]x^{2}\times y'' - 4 \times x \times y' + 6 \times y = 0[/itex] for [itex]y(x)[/itex] by first using the substitution [itex]v = ln(x)[/itex] to obtain an equation involving [itex]y, dy/dv, d^2y/dv^2[/itex] and no [itex]x[/itex]. Solve for [itex]y(v)[/itex], then return to [itex]y(x)[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

NA

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to solve the differential once I substitute in for [itex]v[/itex], but what I'm not getting right is the substitution for the derivatives. I know [itex]dy/dx = dy/dv \times dv/dx = dy/dv \times \frac{1}{x}[/itex], but what I can't figure out is [itex]d^2y/dx^2[/itex]. I got [itex]-dy/dv \times \frac{ln(x)}{x^2}[/itex], but that's not giving me the right answer (I checked w/ Wolfram Alpha). So, I'm a bit stuck on that.
    Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The derivative of a product fg is (fg) ' =f 'g + f g '. (dy/dv) (1/x) is a product of the functions (dy/dv) and 1/x. Apply the chain rule again when you derive dy/dv with respect to x.

ehild

4. Nov 7, 2013 #3
    Yeah, I think I just got it. My new result for [itex]d^2y/dx^2 = dy^2/dv^2 * \frac{1}{x^2} - dy/dv * \frac{1}{x^2}[/itex]. I think that's right because the diff eq worked out pretty well from there.

5. Nov 7, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well done!

ehild

6. Nov 7, 2013 #5
    Awesome! Thanks a bunch for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted