Higher Order Differential Equation: Substitution

In summary, you substituted v = ln(x) to get an equation involving y, dy/dv, d^2y/dv^2, and x was not involved in the equation. Then you solved for y(v) and returned to y(x).
AATroop

Homework Statement

Solve [itex]x^{2}\times y'' - 4 \times x \times y' + 6 \times y = 0[/itex] for [itex]y(x)[/itex] by first using the substitution [itex]v = ln(x)[/itex] to obtain an equation involving [itex]y, dy/dv, d^2y/dv^2[/itex] and no [itex]x[/itex]. Solve for [itex]y(v)[/itex], then return to [itex]y(x)[/itex].

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve the differential once I substitute in for [itex]v[/itex], but what I'm not getting right is the substitution for the derivatives. I know [itex]dy/dx = dy/dv \times dv/dx = dy/dv \times \frac{1}{x}[/itex], but what I can't figure out is [itex]d^2y/dx^2[/itex]. I got [itex]-dy/dv \times \frac{ln(x)}{x^2}[/itex], but that's not giving me the right answer (I checked w/ Wolfram Alpha). So, I'm a bit stuck on that.
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
AATroop said:

Homework Statement

Solve [itex]x^{2}\times y'' - 4 \times x \times y' + 6 \times y = 0[/itex] for [itex]y(x)[/itex] by first using the substitution [itex]v = ln(x)[/itex] to obtain an equation involving [itex]y, dy/dv, d^2y/dv^2[/itex] and no [itex]x[/itex]. Solve for [itex]y(v)[/itex], then return to [itex]y(x)[/itex].

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve the differential once I substitute in for [itex]v[/itex], but what I'm not getting right is the substitution for the derivatives. I know [itex]dy/dx = dy/dv \times dv/dx = dy/dv \times \frac{1}{x}[/itex], but what I can't figure out is [itex]d^2y/dx^2[/itex]. I got [itex]-dy/dv \times \frac{ln(x)}{x^2}[/itex], but that's not giving me the right answer (I checked w/ Wolfram Alpha). So, I'm a bit stuck on that.
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

The derivative of a product fg is (fg) ' =f 'g + f g '. (dy/dv) (1/x) is a product of the functions (dy/dv) and 1/x. Apply the chain rule again when you derive dy/dv with respect to x.

ehild

Yeah, I think I just got it. My new result for [itex]d^2y/dx^2 = dy^2/dv^2 * \frac{1}{x^2} - dy/dv * \frac{1}{x^2}[/itex]. I think that's right because the diff eq worked out pretty well from there.

Well done!

ehild

Likes 1 person
Awesome! Thanks a bunch for your help.

1. What is a higher order differential equation?

A higher order differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves derivatives of a function up to the nth order. It is used to describe relationships between a function and its derivatives.

2. What is substitution in the context of higher order differential equations?

Substitution in the context of higher order differential equations refers to the process of replacing the original variables with new variables in order to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

3. Why is substitution useful in solving higher order differential equations?

Substitution is useful in solving higher order differential equations because it can transform a complicated equation into a simpler one, making it easier to find a solution. It can also help in identifying patterns and relationships between the variables.

4. What are some common substitution techniques used in solving higher order differential equations?

Some common substitution techniques used in solving higher order differential equations include variable substitution, function substitution, and trigonometric substitution. These techniques involve replacing the variables with new functions or expressions.

5. How can I determine which substitution technique to use for a specific higher order differential equation?

The choice of substitution technique depends on the structure and complexity of the differential equation. A good approach is to try different techniques and see which one leads to a simpler and more manageable equation. Experience and familiarity with different techniques can also help in choosing the most appropriate one.