1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higher Order Non-Homogenous ODE

1. Apr 19, 2006 #1
    Higher Order Homogenous ODE (Euler-Cauchy)

*sigh* I am (yet again) stuck on a problem.. I would greatly appreciate any help!

[tex] x^3y''' - 3x^2y'' + (6-x^2)xy' - (6-x^2)y = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \inline y_1 = x [/tex] is a solution to the equation above

y'(0) = 3
    y''(0) = 9
    y'''(0) = 18

I'm not quite sure what it means by "[tex] \inline y_1 = x [/tex] is a solution to the equation above" so I decided to ignore it. I probably shouldn't have because it is probably something I need to know and it is probably the reason why I haven't been able to solve this problem.

What I have done so far

Substituting [tex] \inline m^n [/tex] for y and dividing by [tex] \inline x^m [/tex] I got:

[tex] m(m-1)(m-2) - 3m(m-1) + (6-x^2)m - (6-x^2) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] m(m-1)(m-2) - 3m(m-1) + (6-x^2)(m-1) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] m(m-2) - 3m + (6-x^2) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] m^2 - 5m + (6-x^2) = 0 [/tex]

It is at this point that I am confused. It looks like a quadratic equation but what do I do with the (6-x^2)?!?

Question 1:

What DO I do with (6-x^2) ?!

Someone told me that he got the roots 1, 2, 3... which I then tried, but got the answer wrong:

[tex] y = c_1x + c_2x^2 + c_3x^3 [/tex]

[tex] y' = c + 2c_2x + 3c_3x^2 [/tex]

[tex] y'' = 2c_2 + 6c_3x [/tex]

[tex] y''' = 6c_3 [/tex]

And putting in the initial values I get:

[tex] c_1 = 3 [/tex]

[tex] c_2 = 9/2 [/tex]

[tex] c_3 = 3 [/tex]

Which doesn't seem right.. (can there be two different constants that have the same value?) But I put in the found constants into the original equation to get:

[tex] y = 3x + \frac{9}{2}x^2 + 3x^3 [/tex]

Which is.. wrong.

Question 2:

Are the roots not 1, 2, 3 or did I do something wrong?
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Use the substitution [tex]y=xu[/tex] where the x is from the known solution and u is a function of x [i.e. u=u(x)], we also have

substitute these into the given 3rd order DE to get (after a good deal of cancelation)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?