Higher Prequantum Geometry I: The Need for Prequantum Geometry - Comments

• Insights
  • Thread starter Urs Schreiber
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, Urs Schreiber submitted a new PF Insights post discussing the need for prequantum geometry. He discusses super-p-branes and how they are relevant to brane charge quantization conditions in string/M-theory.
Urs Schreiber
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Urs Schreiber submitted a new PF Insights post

Higher Prequantum Geometry I: The Need for Prequantum Geometry

prequantumgeometry-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes Jimster41, bhobba, jim mcnamara and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I really like your posts. Extremely interesting. Thank you very much!

Likes bhobba
A really nice introduction! A few typos:

behoves |-> behooves

two bad line breaks:

More generally, p-brane charges are not quantized in ordinary integral cohomology, but in generalized cohomology theories.
For instance 1-branes

and

homotopy 0-types —
are generalized to homotopy p-types

Likes bhobba and Greg Bernhardt
john baez said:

behoves |-> behooves

two bad line breaks:

More generally, p-brane charges are not quantized in ordinary integral cohomology, but in generalized cohomology theories.
For instance 1-branes

and

homotopy 0-types —

Who are you calling a p-brane?

Likes atyy and Greg Bernhardt
john baez said:

behoves |-> behooves

two bad line breaks:

For instance 1-branes

and

homotopy 0-types —
Thanks! Fixed now.

WWGD said:
john baez said:

behoves |-> behooves

two bad line breaks:

For instance 1-branes

and

homotopy 0-types —

Who are you calling a p-brane?
Urs says:

At least on my system there is some odd effect with the comment citations not coming out properly. I have added above some white space such as to hopefully make it discernible who is speaking now.

This here in reply to the question "Who are you calling a p-brane?"

The super-p-branes that I am speaking about are precisely those famous from string/M-theory. I have talked about these from a perspective that will be relevant for the present dicussion earlier in the article "Emergence form the superpoint" https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/emergence-from-the-superpoint/ . In two or three further installments here we will see how it all comes together and how the higher prequantization of super-p-branes works and what it tellsus about brane charge quantization conditions in string/M-theory.

[URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/author/urs-schreiber/']Urs Schreiber[/URL] said:

The super-p-branes that I am speaking about are precisely those famous from string/M-theory. I have talked about these from a perspective that will be relevant for the present dicussion earlier in the article "Emergence form the superpoint" https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/emergence-from-the-superpoint/ . In two or three further installments here we will see how it all comes together and how the higher prequantization of super-p-branes works and what it tellsus about brane charge quantization conditions in string/M-theory.

I think you missed the homophone WWGD alluded at, p-brane sounds like a peabrain

on-topic, I only skimmed the article for now. Its a "little" over my head at this time.
It looked really nice though.

Likes atyy
[URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/author/urs-schreiber/']Urs Schreiber[/URL] said:
Urs says:

At least on my system there is some odd effect with the comment citations not coming out properly. I have added above some white space such as to hopefully make it discernible who is speaking now.

Sorry, I don't get the joke. Too abstract.

EDIT: I am just kidding with you, Urs.

Last edited:
mattt said:
I really like your posts. Extremely interesting. Thank you very much!

Ditto.

Thanks
Bill

Hi. This entails too many fancy mathematical and conceptual steps from quantum to classical to prequantum...nature must be simpler! Gerard 't Hooft thinks the basic building blocks of physics are just cellular automata and the rest (Relativity and QM) unnecessary baggage - although he did not spell it out in so many words!
http://arxiv.org/abs/1405.1548
Although the level of my physics is primitive as compared to G 't H's , I agree and have a speculative TOE based on spinning spherically-symmetric Bloch sphere type cellular automata. Beautiful Universe (2005)
http://vladimirtamari.com/beautiful_univ_rev_oct_2011.pdf
Cheers
Vladimir Tamari

valavel said:
nature must be simpler!

What appears simple to the macroscopic, wet, warm and untrained mind tends to be vastly complex fundamentally. Conversely, what is simple fundamentally, may seem elusive at first. If there is interest here on PhysicsForums, I may continue the series beyond the point of traditional set-based reasoning and explain how from the fundamental point of view of adjoint modal homotopy type theory all the apparent complexity here follows in simple steps from first principles.

Likes nnunn, WWGD, MathematicalPhysicist and 1 other person
Urs,

It is an amazing post. Really well written.
Could you also add some examples and some exercises here?Vijay

vijay sharma said:
Could you also add some examples and some exercises here?

A good exercise to go through is to check my claim that the old prescription of Dirac for deriving magnetic charge quantization, the one that still survives as the "Dirac string" method, is equivalent to what algebraic topologists call the "clutching construction" for complex line bundles. If you get stuck, see the bachelor thesis here http://ncatlab.org/schreiber/show/bachelor+thesis+Eggertsson

Likes bhobba and Greg Bernhardt
I have added to the text a pointer to CGLW 11 where precisely those higher dimensional WZW models that I keep mentioning as examples for higher prequantization are argued to describe the low energy effective physics of symmetry protected topological phases of matter. Maybe we should have a dedicated article just on this class of examples at some point.

I get the impression you are using more mathematical specifics and details than is usual when presenting this material in the context of physics -- is that right?

Ralph Dratman said:
I get the impression you are using more mathematical specifics and details than is usual when presenting this material in the context of physics -- is that right?

He is a mathematical physicist. That's what they do.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Ralph Dratman and Greg Bernhardt

1. What is prequantum geometry?

Prequantum geometry is a theoretical framework that seeks to understand the fundamental nature of reality by incorporating both quantum mechanics and general relativity. It aims to bridge the gap between these two theories and provide a more complete understanding of the universe.

2. Why is prequantum geometry necessary?

Prequantum geometry is necessary because it addresses the limitations and inconsistencies of current theories, such as the inability to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity. It also offers potential solutions to long-standing problems in physics, such as the measurement problem and the origin of space and time.

3. How does prequantum geometry differ from other theories?

Prequantum geometry differs from other theories in that it combines elements of both quantum mechanics and general relativity, rather than treating them as separate and incompatible theories. It also proposes a new mathematical framework that may better describe the underlying structure of reality.

4. What are the potential implications of prequantum geometry?

The potential implications of prequantum geometry are vast and could lead to a deeper understanding of the universe, including insights into the nature of dark matter and dark energy, the origin of the universe, and the possibility of a unified theory of physics.

5. Is there any experimental evidence for prequantum geometry?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence for prequantum geometry. It is still a theoretical framework that is being developed and explored by scientists. However, as our technology and understanding of the universe improves, it may be possible to test and validate some of the predictions made by prequantum geometry.