Higher Year Physics Studies with a Shaky Foundation

In summary: I'll check it out. in summary, this person has just finished their first semester of third year undergraduate physics, and they are taking a third course in electromagnetism (classical electrodynamics). They have a shaky foundation in the topic, but they are hopeful that the lectures will help them to learn more.
CDL
I have just finished my first semester of third year undergraduate physics, and have a 3-4 week break before my next semester, in which I will be taking a third course in electromagnetism (classical electrodynamics). It is my second course with a full focus on electromagnetism, since in first year there were other topics included.

I have a shaky foundation in the topic, as in first year I was not very studious and involved. In my next year I picked my socks up, but did not manage to learn too much from the second exposition to electromagnetism, apart from electrostatics and some basic situations involving magnetic fields. The rest was quite superficial.

The topics in the upcoming course include: Scalar diffraction theory. Image formation and Fourier Optics, Coherence. Electromagnetic fields in dispersive media. Scattering. Maxwell’s equations potential formulation. Gauge transformation. Poynting’s theorem, conservation laws. Green’s function solution of static problems. Inhomogeneous wave equation and Green’s function solution. Dipole radiation. Emission of radiation from accelerating and decelerating charges. Relativistic electrodynamics. Covariant formulation,

which sound a little scary given my background in the subject. I am wondering if anyone has advice for me to get up to speed, while solidifying my understanding of the basics. Any resources or methods for doing so given the time frame would be much appreciated.

I have Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics, and have looked a bit at MIT's lectures. They look pretty good. This site looks good too: http://www.maxwells-equations.com/

Physics news on Phys.org
You can have a look at http://www.nptel.ac.in/courses/115104088/ by Prof. Manoj Harbola. The lectures are present in the video gallery of PF as well. If you go through the full course, you will have a better grip on the basics. The syllabus of the course is given http://www.nptel.ac.in/syllabus/syllabus.php?subjectId=115104088.

It will become difficult for you to study higher topics without learning the basics. I think the lectures will be helpful to you to some extent, but I'll ask you to go through the syllabus linked above to see if it will actually help you.

Likes CDL
Nice, thanks for posting in the video section.

1. What are "Higher Year Physics Studies with a Shaky Foundation"?

"Higher Year Physics Studies with a Shaky Foundation" refers to a set of advanced physics courses that build upon fundamental concepts and theories in physics. These courses require a strong foundation in basic physics principles and may be challenging for students who do not have a solid understanding of the subject.

2. Why is a strong foundation important for higher year physics studies?

A strong foundation in basic physics concepts is important for higher year studies because these advanced courses often build upon and expand upon these fundamental principles. Without a solid understanding of the basics, it can be difficult to grasp the more complex topics and theories introduced in higher year courses.

3. What are some common topics covered in higher year physics studies?

Some common topics covered in higher year physics studies include advanced mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. These courses often delve into more complex and abstract concepts, requiring a strong foundation in basic physics principles.

4. How can I improve my foundation in physics for higher year studies?

One way to improve your foundation in physics is to review and practice basic concepts regularly. You can also seek help from professors or tutors, join study groups, and engage in hands-on experiments and demonstrations. Additionally, staying organized and keeping up with course materials can also help strengthen your understanding of fundamental physics principles.

5. Are there any resources available to help students with a shaky foundation in physics?

Yes, there are many resources available to help students with a shaky foundation in physics. These include textbooks, online tutorials and videos, study guides, and practice problems. You can also seek help from professors, teaching assistants, and academic support centers at your institution. It is important to actively seek out and utilize these resources in order to improve your understanding of basic physics principles.