1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Highest order of spectrum given two wavelengths

1. Feb 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I've attached the problem

2. Relevant equations

d*sinθ=mλ

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried a couple of methods. I considered solving for m when θ=90 degrees => sinθ=1 because 90 degrees is the highest possible angle and will (in my mind at least) yield the highest order of spectrum by rounding the resultant value of m down to the nearest integer. But I don't know how to factor the two given wavelengths into all this.

I then considered fiddling about with approximations like, at small angles, tanθ=sinθ=θ=y/L but to no avail.

Can anyone help me on how to solve this? I don't even know how to picture the problem and draw a diagram.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

To get a fringe at a position you need constructive interference at that position.
    What is the condition for constructive interference?

Note: you probably have not been given the final equation for this situation, you will have to work it out for yourself.

4. Feb 10, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  5. Feb 11, 2014 #4
    Thanks for the replies.

Constructive interference would occur when m=some integer.

Thanks, but it appears that when I work through (with the assumption that θ=90) I get m=5 for the 410nm wave, whereas the OP of that topic arrived at m=4. Is the assumption I'm working with wrong (about θ being equal to 90 degrees)? And what's the reason for choosing m=3 over m=4?

Also, how do I go about working out the second part of the question?

6. Feb 11, 2014 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

d*sinθ=mλ, and θ<90°. The 5th order maximum does not appear for the 410 nm wave.
    Also, the maximum order is 3 for the red light, and the problem asked the number of full spectra.

Determine the angles of both the violet and red light for m=1, 2, 3, 4 and arrange them in increasing sequence.

ehild

7. Feb 11, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Kinda - that's not the whole story.

This means you need to understand the physics:

Consider - if you had white light incident on the slits, you get a series of rainbow fringes.
    Each fringe is a whole spectrum, but the highest order spectrum may be incomplete ... so you can end up with more blue fringes than red ones.

Originally I thought you were looking at something like water waves with a different frequency at each slit.

You should certainly do the exercise that ehild suggests at the end of post #5
    Determine the angles of both the violet and red light for m=1, 2, 3, 4 and arrange them in increasing sequence.

8. Feb 11, 2014 #7
    Aha, thanks a bunch Simon Bridge and ehild, I'll finally got the answers!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted