2014 Award

Highway Accident Report by NTSB....Texting

It's about time. Discuss please.

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/2011/gray_summit_mo/index.html

2. jcsd
  3. Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

Re: Highway Accident Report by NTSB....Texting

GPS ban I don't support, but texting is a problem. I see it all the time.

4. dlgoff

dlgoff 3,075
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

Hum. Wasn't thinking about GPS. I guess it can be distracting; on the order of looking at your speedometer?

5. lisab

Staff: Mentor

Years ago, I reviewed this issue for my work. The research is quite clear: any sort of telephone conversation is distracting to drivers. When a driver talks on a phone, his or her attention narrows. Peripheral vision is dramatically reduced.

The research suggests the issue is not with the device, because it happens to drivers using "hands-free" phones, too.

The policy at my work was changed: no use of cell phones when driving, period.

My motto: "It can wait."

6. Evo

Those GPS driving directions are the cause of accidents, you can't read a small digital map and drive. The ones that call out directions are better, but what happened to getting directions before you leave? Then if you get lost, pull off the road and stop and check directions. Same for people with a paper map, get off the road!

One of the most horrific recent fatalities is where a woman was texting and didn't notice that traffic ahead of her had stopped and she rear ended a car driven by a another woman, the victim woman's car burst into flames and the woman was burned to death, I posted that article here.

No excuse for texting and driving. None.

I would be all for a device that disabled texting from a moving vehicle.

7. Re: Highway Accident Report by NTSB....Texting

My wife drives the car from the passenger seat. Turn here, stop there, you should have taken that left turn at Albequerque, etc. Then I got a GPS. I tossed it out after the first week. Turn here, stop there, you should have taken that left turn at Albequerque, etc. It's a wonder we haven't all been rear ended.

8. dlgoff

dlgoff 3,075
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

Exactly.

That's the way I always did it, but what about the folks that can't even read a map (thinking voice GPS here)?

9. dlgoff

dlgoff 3,075
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Never had a GPS but plenty of wives. I know what you mean.

10. Re: Highway Accident Report by NTSB....Texting

I didn't realize this wasn't already illegal everywhere. It is illegal in California. I know people who've gotten tickets for fiddling with their phones at red lights, even.

11. Evo

Passengers in cars are much more distracting than talking on cell phones. If you're talking on a cell phone, at least your eyes are on the road and not the passenger. People feel the need to make eye contact when they're talking to an actual person, so there is constant glancing at the "listener", then there is the need to look at the person you are speaking to to get that all important "facial and body language" feedback. Then when the passenger responds, there is that obligation to glance over continuously to give them "feedback". A cell phone has no feelings and doesn't need eye contact.

Second would be listening to music or even worse talk radio, your attention isn't on the road if you're lost in song or screaming at the radio. There should be silence when you are driving. Not to mention the inability to hear horns, screeching brakes, and sirens if you are listening to something else, usually too loud.

The worst is children in the car... Children whining, fighting, wanting things handed to them, taking things away from them. I've even witnessed women changing their baby's diapers while driving!!!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  12. dlgoff

dlgoff 3,075
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

Evo. I agree with all these distractions as being a problem. But even "thinking about something" can have serious consequences. e.g. My daughter turned right onto a 65mph highway after stopping at the county road intersection. Got rear ended by an oncoming car in broad daylight. She said she didn't see the oncoming car. Eyes saw, brain didn't register.

13. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Could GPS devices be considered devices to "support the driving task"?

14. Office_Shredder

Office_Shredder 4,500
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is actually the opposite of true. For example
    http://www.psych.utah.edu/AppliedCognitionLab/JEP_A_2008.pdf

The explanation that I've heard (and which I think sounds about right) is that passengers in the vehicle with you can see how you're doing in your surroundings and cease conversation when necessary (when executing turns, when traffic patterns shift, etc.) whereas somebody on a cell phone cannot.

15. Evo

Well there is actual quantified proof that passengers are more distracting.

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/articledetail.aspx?ArticleID=19571&vf=1

http://www.nsc.org/safety_road/Distracted_Driving/Documents/Distractions in Everyday Driving.pdf

See page 16

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  16. Office_Shredder

Office_Shredder 4,500
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a bit unclear what that slideshow you posted is talking about. Is that just measuring how often such a distraction occurred without deciding on the severity of the distraction, or is it measuring how often an incident causes a distraction to a driver? It seems like it's measuring the former, which isn't a good way on deciding whether activities should be banned or not. Especially since the next slide indicates that people spent more time on their cell phones than talking to passengers anyway.

The Australian study you posted about has no numbers to talk about, and it's not explicitly made clear whether it's percent of time spent being distracted or severity of distraction (although in this case it seems by the language to be more likely talking about severity of distraction).

I find linking to original studies more effective because there's no ambiguity as to their measuring systems or methodologies

17. Evo

It's an actual study, did you read it, or did you just glance at one slide?

And here is a list of studies.

http://www.drivingtips.org/Distracted-Driving.html

In case you aren't going to read it, you can just browse the results here.

18. dlgoff

dlgoff 3,075
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

Seems like it's not a case of whether it's a distraction, but to what degree the distraction is.

As in TEXTING. Just sayin'.

19. Evo

Texting has got to be the worst, it's reading and writing, you can't do both of those and drive safely. Not to mention you only have one hand to steer with. But talking on a cell phone is the least dangerous activity, based on actual results.

20. dlgoff

dlgoff 3,075
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

So it's like, "to take care of the most dangerous activity (texting), you have to remove the responsible device". Right?

21. Evo

Yep. Like I said earlier, I'd be all for the ability to disbable texting from a moving device.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?