Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hilbert action according to robert wald

1. Jun 22, 2012 #1
    hi everyone
    i'm brand new to forums and i'm holdin a seminar on a variation of the hilbert action as described in wald's book general relativity. if anyone knows that book and topic pretty well maybe you can help me, my question is this:

for the variation [itex]\delta R_{ab}[/itex] with respect to parameter [itex]\lambda[/itex] of the ricci tensor [itex]R_{ab} [/itex] wald uses a result from the end of chapter 7, where he assumes [itex] g_0^{ab}[/itex] to be a solution of einstein's equation, so in the calculation of [itex]\delta R_{ab}[/itex] he assumes already that [itex]R_{ab} = 0[/itex] at $\lambda = 0$ so he works it out in terms of the tensor [itex]C^c_{ab}[/itex] (the tensor difference between two covariant derivatives).

my problem is: he uses einstein's equation on the unperturbed metric to fish out [itex]\delta R_{ab}[/itex], then uses that to derive einstein's equation with the hilbert action.

is there a good explanation for using this equation to derive this very same equation? i hope i explained myself clearly enough.

thanks in advance

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2012 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Carroll's derivation seems pretty straight forward (see pg. 114): http://preposterousuniverse.com/grnotes/grnotes-four.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jun 25, 2012 #3
    thanks very much, that is an easier method. good work.

5. Jun 25, 2012 #4

haushofer

Science Advisor

That's one reason I've never really liked Wald's book. Some things are being made much more complicated than necessary, unless you're a die-hard mathematician. Indeed, the easiest way is to apply the variation directly to the definition of the Ricci tensor and use covariance arguments (or do the whole calculation).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook