1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hint needed in integral

1. Nov 18, 2016 #1
    • Member warned about posting without the homework template
    Hello I have tried gaussian integrals does gaussian integrals have this general form formula??? if not then weather i do integration by parts or what just needed a hint to solve it correctly

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Core, :welcome:

The template is there for a reason, don't erase it but use it; it will be to your benefit.

What is the question ? and what is the relationship between your first line and the second ?

4. Nov 18, 2016 #3
    I want to say in the pic I have tried many things here should I show the steps I tried?? just want a hint that how to correctly start this nothing more weather I substitute or use gaussian integral formula for expomentional that is sqrt(pie/a) then do integration by parts??

5. Nov 18, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My point is it seems you are trying to normalize the wave function $$\Psi(x,t) = A\, e^{-x^2/a^2} e^{-i\omega t} \sin kx $$ on the first line.
    But the second line does not reflect that ( it says ##\ \sin (2kx) \ ## instead of ##\ \sin^2 (kx) \ ## ).

So :

6. Nov 18, 2016 #5
    yes yes it is sin^2(kx) we can use 1-cos2(x)/2 formula here

7. Nov 18, 2016 #6
    but that nasty exponential how to handle that

8. Nov 18, 2016 #7
    it is liboff problem 3.15 I have found <p> that is zero but I stuck at A???

9. Nov 18, 2016 #8
    these steps I have tried now where is mistake??

Attached Files:

10. Nov 18, 2016 #9
    Now see here in this formula list there no formula for x^2 thats why I am stuck at this step needed a hint

Attached Files:

11. Nov 18, 2016 #10
    how to integrate E^x^2/a^2 sinkx

12. Nov 18, 2016 #11

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For the latter expression, if you mean ##\frac{1 - \cos^2(x)}2##, use parentheses around the terms in the numerator. What you wrote means ##1 - \frac{\cos(2x)}2##. In any case, ##\sin^2(kx) \ne \frac{1 - \cos(2x)}{2}##. You have to consider that k mulitplier.

13. Nov 18, 2016 #12
    thanks I am new to this website

14. Nov 18, 2016 #13

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe you want to check out number 6 here ?

Otherwise there is CRC handbook of chemistry and physics, or Abramowitz (7.4.6)

15. Nov 18, 2016 #14
    so if I use number 6 then can I change limits to 0 to infinity multiplied by 2 then It can be applied ???

16. Nov 18, 2016 #15
    one thing more can I change sin(kx) in to exponentionals and then try to solve will it work or not??

17. Nov 18, 2016 #16

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

IF the function is even (##\ f(x) = f(-x)\ ##) then yes.
    You can give it a try... :rolleyes:

18. Nov 18, 2016 #17
    what do you suggest now changing sin to exponential using euler formula or use this

19. Nov 18, 2016 #18
    but cos(kx) is even ?? so I can use this to solve this nasty integral

20. Nov 18, 2016 #19
    ok I am solving it by both methods and will tell you what I got

21. Nov 18, 2016 #20

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes you can
    That would be the idea. But it doesn't look clean and quick to me, such a complex exponential...

After all, integrating ##\ e^{-x^2}\ ## alone already requires ingenious mathematical manipulating...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted