History of Metallurgy: Smil & Smith Books

In summary, the two books that the author has recommended are detailed and go into great depth on the history of metallurgy.
Physics news on Phys.org
  • Haha
Likes vanhees71 and Frabjous
Timing is everything!

Just giving this very subject a hit!

I am about halfway through _Metallurgy for the Non-Metallurgist_ by Harry Chandler. Second edition. (c)1998 ASM International, Fourth printing (2006).

Lots of history (from about 1900) and lots of science. Very fact laden and doesn't spare the technical details. I am really enjoying it. I know that there is a much expanded third edition, but you work with what is available. :)

Two books that I have just borrowed from the library (after over a year of non-access... what a relief!) are:

_Mining and Metallurgy in the Greek and Roman World_ by John F. Heally,
(c) 1978 Thames and Hudson, London. This book is part of the _Aspects of Greek and Roman Life_ series H.H. Scullard General Editor.

This book not only details history of metallurgy itself but includes such subjects as sources of ore minerals, mining, mine administration, uses and applications of metals over time.

and

_A history of Metallurgy_ by R.F. Tylecote, Second edition, (C) 1992 The Institute of Materials

This book starts off with neolithic metallurgy and brings things through to the present.

I have just started these two, and am only a handful of pages into either.

Both are very detailed and appear to go into meaningful depth, and are very fully footnoted I am really looking forward to getting hip deep into these.

--diogenesNY

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban, Frabjous and Baluncore
Thanks. I guess I get to see see how fast interlibrary loan is working in the age of COVID.

One always has to beware of greatly expanded editions. Sometimes it merely dilutes the charm of the earlier edition.

Last edited:

1. What is the history of metallurgy?

The history of metallurgy is the study of the development and use of metals and metal alloys throughout human history. It includes the discovery, extraction, and processing of metals, as well as their use in various applications such as tools, weapons, and art.

2. Who are Smil & Smith and what are their contributions to the history of metallurgy?

Vaclav Smil and Cyril Stanley Smith are two prominent historians of metallurgy. Smil is a Czech-Canadian scientist and author who has published extensively on the history of metallurgy, while Smith was a British metallurgist and historian who made significant contributions to the understanding of ancient metalworking techniques.

3. What are some key events and developments in the history of metallurgy?

Some key events and developments in the history of metallurgy include the discovery of copper and gold in ancient civilizations, the development of iron smelting techniques, the use of steel in weapons and tools, the Industrial Revolution and the rise of modern metallurgy, and the advancements in metallurgical processes and materials in the 20th and 21st centuries.

4. How has the history of metallurgy influenced human civilization?

The history of metallurgy has had a profound impact on human civilization. It has allowed for the development of advanced tools and weapons, which have played a crucial role in the rise of civilizations and the advancement of technology. Metallurgy has also been a key factor in the growth of trade and commerce, as well as the development of art and architecture.

5. What are some current trends and future prospects in the field of metallurgy?

Some current trends in metallurgy include the use of new materials and alloys, such as carbon fiber composites and shape memory alloys, and the development of more sustainable and environmentally-friendly processes. In the future, metallurgists are also exploring the potential of nanotechnology and 3D printing in the production of advanced materials.