1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hmmmm how to find the taylor series based @ b for this function?

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1/(4x-5) - z/(3x-2) based @ 0, answers are in those z things.. sigma

2. Relevant equations
    i think we use sigma of e^x, but idk how...

3. The attempt at a solution
    since tayor sereis of e^x is like 1/x, do i plug 4x-5 in?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I really don't understand that. Is that a function of two variables, x and z?

4. Oct 8, 2008 #3
    haha.... no i don't know how "z" got in there... the question is asking us to find the taylor series by using like e^x, sin x, or 1/(1-x) taylor series...
    idk if that's making sense ...

5. Oct 8, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then use things like 1/(1-x)=1+x+x^2+... You can expand inverse linear functions like 1/(ax+b) as a power series.

6. Oct 9, 2008 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You didn't ask my opinion, but I'll give it to you anyway, for free. I think you're in a class that's way over your head. You don't seem to be able to tell us what the problem is, and I don't believe you have any idea what a Taylor's series is. Much of what you've written makes no sense ("sigma of e^x", "answers are in those z things ... sigma").

Mark

7. Oct 9, 2008 #6
    haha :D you are kind of right... i learned this stuff but i'm trying to refresh my memory... and as for the "z things" i was just trying to be stupid...
    thanks for the advice tho... and i do know what a taylor series is.. i think.
    (is it to approximate another function at a point?)
    i think thats what it is.

edit: lol ", for free." XD

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  8. Oct 9, 2008 #7
    ahh thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?