Holographic principle and string theory

In summary, the holographic principle states that our three-dimensional world is an illusion and that everything is happening on a surface. According to string theory, our universe is actually 10 dimensional, with 6 hidden dimensions. The two theories are potentially compatible, and according to Doug, Susskind's book The Black Hole War explains the concept in detail.
masbt
Hi. I am no physicist but I am trying to know something about the holographic principle.
As I understand, everything is happening in a surface and our three-dimensionality is an illusion of our senses.
On the other side, string theory assume the existence of 11 dimensions.
Are the two theories related in some way or are completely independent?
Thanks in advance if someone answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Superstring theory requires 10 spacetime dimensions (not 11).

In the most famous example of the holographic conjecture, although it is commonly said that the boundary is 4 dimensional and the bulk is 5 dimensional, the bulk is a 10D string theory, in which the 5 dimensions that are less frequently mentioned are a 5 dimensional sphere. When people want to stress that the bulk is a 10D string theory, they write the boundary as CFT4, and the bulk as AdS5 X S5.

Thanks for your answer but i don't get it. Too technical for me.

Ok let's try a different explanation.

Our everyday world has 3 dimensions of space and 1 dimension of time, so it is 4 dimensional. According to string theory, our 4 dimensional world is really 10 dimensional, with 6 hidden dimensions.

According to the holographic conjecture, this 10 dimensional world of 4 everyday dimensions and 6 hidden dimensions is represented by a holographic theory in 3 dimensions. So if just look at the large dimensions, we can say the 4 everyday dimensions are represented by a holographic theory in 3 dimensions.

In other words, the holographic principle about our 4 dimensions being represented by a 3 dimensional theory is consistent with the idea that our universe is 10 dimensional.

Of course, one has to bear in mind this is all conjectural. The holographic conjecture can produce a universe whose gravity is locally similarly to ours, which is why it is interesting, but so far no one knows how to make the holographic principle produce a universe that matches ours in detail.

Leonard Susskind explains it rather rigorously in his Stanford U. lecture series streamed and his Theoretical Minimum.

Thanks again. I only wanted to know if the two theories are in some way compatible, and for what you say, this seems to be the case.
Thanks Doug for this info, I am going to check. I read The Black Hole War by Leonard Susskind some time ago and even though I didn't understand too much, I learned some neat and cool things like the event horizon growing 1 Planck square every time a bit of information is added.

I would recommended the books by Brian Greene. Very nice for laymen (and experts :P ) :)

1. What is the holographic principle?

The holographic principle is a theory in physics that suggests that all the information about a 3-dimensional object can be represented on a 2-dimensional surface. It is based on the idea that the universe can be thought of as a hologram, with all the information about the 3-dimensional world encoded on its 2-dimensional boundary.

2. How does the holographic principle relate to string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that tries to reconcile the principles of general relativity and quantum mechanics. The holographic principle is a consequence of string theory and is used to explain how gravity works in the universe.

3. What is the role of black holes in the holographic principle?

Black holes play a crucial role in the holographic principle as they are considered to be the ultimate manifestation of the principle. According to the theory, the information about all the matter that falls into a black hole is encoded on the event horizon, which is the boundary surrounding the black hole.

4. How does the holographic principle solve the information paradox?

The information paradox is a problem in physics that arises when trying to reconcile the principles of quantum mechanics with those of general relativity. The holographic principle provides a possible solution to this paradox by suggesting that all the information about a 3-dimensional system can be represented on a 2-dimensional surface, such as the event horizon of a black hole.

5. Is there any evidence to support the holographic principle?

While there is no direct evidence to support the holographic principle, many theoretical calculations and experiments have shown that it is a consistent and promising theory. Additionally, the holographic principle has been used to explain various phenomena, such as the entropy of black holes, which lends further credibility to the theory.