Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HOLY S my CF bulb burnt out! LITERALLY!

1. Jun 17, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

HOLY S*** my CF bulb burnt out! LITERALLY!

OK UHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

My CF bulb... thats probably been in use for a year or 2... just burnt out... LITERALLY! It faded in and out and then it became really dim and a bit orange inside and then it became even mooooore dimmer and then it flat out went out. Now i can smell smoke. From what i remember... don't CF bulbs contain phosphorous and mercury??!?!?! Should i throw this thing ouside until the smoke is gone? Should i even evacuate this room? Im scared!!!! :surprised :surprised :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2006 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It does contain mercury, but just very little so there is no danger.

4. Jun 17, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok.... but if i die, you'll be hearing from me!!!

5. Jun 17, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! I can only imagine you've had an electronics failure and burned through a FET or somesuch.

Trace amounts of mercury (likely less than micrograms), but no phosphorus. You're getting confused with the phosphor (related to phosphorescence, not phosphorus) coating.

Is there actually smoke billowing out from this thing, or do you only smell something? These bulbs are not supposed to die in a dangerous/catastrophic manner. The electronics eventually give out or the electrodes die and you can't ionize the gas any longer.

Anyway, I think you're supposed to send those back to the manufacturer for recycling. You most likely paid for the recycling cost when you bought the bulb.

6. Jun 17, 2006 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Some CF bulbs burn out long before their advertised "10,000 hour" life. Others (even from the same batch) keep going. I have several bulbs that are at least 12 years old and are still going (all of them Phillips bulbs). While I have "burnt through" 3 GE "2D" bulbs, and 2 GE "Genura" bulbs in only four years. Methinks GE sucks and Phillips is da bomb.

7. Jun 17, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

There wasn't any visible smoke but you could smell smoke. It also made a weird noise when it went out. I'm suppose to send them back to the manufacturer? Pfff, i cant afford shipping these bulbs out :P

I suppose i got a decent amount of time out of this bulb considering it was on like, 16 hours a day for the last year or 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?