Homemade questions on introductory physics

In summary, Roblox is a website that allows users to create and play games with other users. There is no educational value to it, but it is a safe site for children to play on.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Science Professionals: Master's Education for a Competitive World is a book published by National Academies Press. This particular one is available free in pdf format, but one has to register. I strongly recommend academics take a look at it.

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12064

Authors:
Committee on Enhancing the Master's Degree in the Natural Sciences, National Research Council
Authoring Organizations

Description:
What are employer needs for staff trained in the natural sciences at the master's degree level? How do master's level professionals in the natural sciences contribute in the workplace? How do master's programs meet or support educational and career goals?

Science Professionals: Master's Education for a Competitive World examines the answers to these and other questions regarding the role of master's education in the natural sciences. The book also focuses on student characteristics and what can be learned from efforts underway to enhance the master's in the natural sciences, particularly as a professional degree.

This book is a critical tool for Congress, the federal agencies charged with carrying out the America COMPETES Act, and educational and science policy makers at the state level. Additionally, anyone with a stake in the development of professional science education (four year institutions of higher education, students, faculty, and employers) will find this book useful.

Also take a look at Evaluating and Improving Undergraduate Teaching in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
http://books.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=10024
I believe the pdf must be purchased, but it can be read online for free.

Science news on Phys.org
This is a very interesting presentation by a group from MIT

The academic participants met in five groups, three representing the organizing principles of Molecular Transformations, Multiscale Analysis, and Systems, and two others representing curriculum components of the Laboratory, and the First-Year Experience. Each group was to assess the state of development in its area.

http://web.mit.edu/che-curriculum/2005/atlanta/2005 Atlanta - 3 Academic Theme Status.pdf pdf

I can some the ideas being applicable in other engineering disciplines.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Homemade" questions on introductory physics

Have you ever thought of the PERFECT question in introductory physics? Stop lying, you know you did.
Let this thread be a collection of original introductory physics questions made by PFers to be used in the classroom.
Note: While at an introductory level it must CHALLENGING and/or interesting.

Format:
Subject(i.e. the chapter this would belong to in your imaginary physics text in your head )
Question
Answer(not full solution, just the short answer w/o explanation)My question:

Subject: Kinematics

Question: A block is connected to a spring. Its equation of motion is
x(t)=Acos(ft)
where
A=3 meters
f=3(1/sec)
Find the average speed for the interval
0<t<10 sec

Answer: 5.75 meters/second

Hello,

I'm about to start a master's program in teaching secondary physics. Its been about 7 years (!) since I finished my undergraduate astrophysics degree (without any education courses). I'd like to write a thesis which would enable me to do a PhD in astronomy/physics down the road if I decide to (say in another 9 years). I just thought I'd post to get the gears turning, it needs to have enough of an education slant to be relevant to the master's but technical enough to lead to a PhD... My only real teaching experience is Peace Corps, where I taught teachers how to teach in an African village for 3 years. My biggest scientific interest is probably cosmic rays, but I suppose "biggest interest" and "best thesis" don't often equate. Then again, I don't even know what most people write about to be honest, I'm really starting here. Any general advice appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Dear Scholars,
What a phenomenal guidance on the forum. I am completely convinced to join the forum and seek some guidance.
I have a Master's degree in Civil Engineering from USA and after recent layoff in Manufacturing, intend to do my deferred dream of completing Ph.D. and join the teaching profession. My thesis research was on "Cavitation in Hydraulic structures". I love teaching and have a strong passion, patience and perseverance for the profession.
Just curious, what areas of Civil Engineering other than Structure engineering is more demanding to enter in teaching profession. I am 56 now and feel completely empowered to fight for the dream.
Please be encouraging in your advice and brainstorm as to what field and what inexpensive University would be the best to join. I am in the process of talking to the professors as well.

Thank you for the cooperation and understanding.

Not posted for a while, good to have a reason to!

My pre-teenage son is keen to join the online Roblox site. So far, I've read through the Wikipedia article and glanced at the Roblox home page and it all looks very family friendly, but will be looking into it in a lot more detail. My main worry is exposure to online bullying. I'm also interested to know what educational value (if any) there might be to it, as (amongst other things) you can script objects using something called Lua. Is/was anyone a player/parent of a player of Roblox, or has scripted in Lua for Roblox who could comment on the above. Any advice or comment from anyone really.

Oh well, back to the housework.

Hello everyone,

I inherited an old apparatus (featured in this link) and I love it. I used the hot water from the tap and measured ΔT values were very small. Even then the results were reasonable. Now I plan to add a few more to the set. What I found in the internet was the one sold by PASCO- found in this link. I would like to get some feedback from those who have used this particular apparatus in their labs. In the picture, it looks less sturdier than the one I am using now. I am also worried about the ΔT values as the measurement of temperature change is based on the change in resistance of a thermister attached to the tube. Since there is no linear relationship between temperature and resistance, calculating the in-between values might introduce some uncertainty. Hoping to hear about your experiences with this gadget before I make my purchase. Thanks a bunch!
Sithy

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the physical world.

2. What are the basic concepts of physics?

The basic concepts of physics include motion, forces, energy, and matter. These concepts help us to understand how objects move, what causes them to move, and how they interact with each other. Other important concepts in physics include gravity, electricity, and magnetism.

3. How is physics related to everyday life?

Physics is involved in almost every aspect of our daily lives. It explains how objects move, why things fall to the ground, and how electricity powers our devices. It also plays a role in technology, engineering, and medicine, helping us to develop new technologies and improve our understanding of the world around us.

4. What are the different branches of physics?

There are several branches of physics, including classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Other areas of physics include astrophysics, biophysics, and geophysics. Each branch focuses on different aspects of the physical world and uses different methods to study them.

5. How can I apply the principles of physics in my everyday life?

The principles of physics can be applied in many ways in our daily lives, from understanding how objects move to designing and using technology. For example, knowing the laws of motion can help you predict the trajectory of a ball when playing sports, and understanding electricity and circuits can help you troubleshoot problems with your electronic devices. Physics can also help you make informed decisions about energy use and conservation in your home and community.