Homework Question (Newton's Laws)

In summary, the conversation is about a monkey trying to reach a banana at a height of 7.00 m without breaking the rope it is climbing on. The person is attempting to solve for the least amount of time the monkey could take to reach the banana without exceeding the maximum tension of 132 N. They are using the equations F=ma and x=Vot+1/2at^2 to find the acceleration and time needed for the monkey to reach the banana. However, they are having trouble with their calculations and are reminded to include the downward force of the monkey's weight in their equations.
sheri1987

Homework Statement

A 12.0 kg monkey starts to climb a long rope to reach a banana located at a height of 7.00 m. The rope will snap if the tension exceeds 132 N. Calculate the least amount of time the monkey could take to reach the banana without breaking the rope.

Homework Equations

F =ma
x = Vot +1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to use an equation to solve for t. I tried the two above first solving for the acceleration, then plugging that into solve for the time. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to tell what you doing wrong since you didn't give us any details of what you did. If the monkey is heading up the rope with acceleration 'a', what's the tension in the rope? What's the biggest 'a' can be before the rope snaps?

according to the free body diagram, that acceleration is due to two forces,
ones if weight of the money(gravity) and other one due to the force app. by money (you need to find this a )..

The forces acting on the monkey are his weight downwards and the tension in the rope upwards. The monkey can't directly exert a force on him/herself. The resulting sum is the F in F=ma.

I plugged 132 N as the force and 12.0 kg in as the mass and solved for the acceleration..I got 11 m/s2. Then I plugged the 11 m/s2 into the x=Vot +1/2at2 and the 7.00 m as x, 0 for the inital velocity and solved for t. The answer isn't working out though?

You forgot the mg force downward didn't you? T-mg is the total force.

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and are considered one of the cornerstones of classical physics.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Likewise, the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate under the same force.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

5. How do Newton's Laws apply to everyday life?

Newton's Laws of Motion have many practical applications in our daily lives. They help us understand how objects move and interact with each other, from the motion of a ball being thrown to the operation of vehicles and machines. These laws also form the basis for many modern technologies, such as rockets and airplanes.