Homogeneous Differential Equation

In summary, the student is trying to solve a differential equation that has an unknown variable and they are having trouble getting it into the form that it is given in the textbook. They are able to solve the equation using a separable equation and the steps to solve the equation are as follows: first take the derivative of the equation with respect to the unknown variable and then use the substitution to get the equation in the form y'=\frac{x-y}{x+y}.
Dr.Doom

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of the differential equation:

(x+y)y'=x-y

Homework Equations

I want to solve this as a homogeneous differential equation, so our equations are:
v=[itex]\frac{y}{x}[/itex], y=vx, [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=v+x[itex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to get this into the form [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=F([itex]\frac{y}{x}[/itex]), so I rewrite it as y'=[itex]\frac{x-y}{x+y}[/itex]. Dividing by x I get, y'=[itex]\frac{1-\frac{y}{x}}{1+\frac{y}{x}}[/itex]. From here, I substitute to get v+x[itex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1-v}{1+v}[/itex]. When looking at the solution manual, however, it says that it should be in the form x(v+1)v'=-(v2+2v-1) before I integrate. I don't see how i can get it into this form. Also, it gives the answer as y2+2xy-x2=C. I can correctly solve this differential equation using different methods, but I would really like to know how to solve this using the homogeneous method. I would really appreciate any help with this. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are almost there...

You have to compute:
[tex]
\frac{1-v}{1+v}-v=x\frac{dv}{dx}
[/tex]
This will be a separable equation which is solved in the usual fashion.

you just have to take subtract v on both sides of the equation you got man...(xdv/dx=(1-v)/(1+v) - v..

Ok, so I rewrite it as [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]dx=[itex]\frac{1+v}{1-v}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{v}[/itex]dv. Do I need to do an additional substitution on [itex]\frac{1+v}{1-v}[/itex]?

you solved it wrong on right side... you will get dv/{(1-v)/(1+V) - v}...which comes out to be (1+v)/(1-v^2-2v)...just substitute 1-v^2-2v as t...

I'm having trouble seeing how it comes out to (1+v)/(1-v2-2v)

Do the addition as I said to get:
[tex]
\frac{1-v}{1+v}-v=\frac{1-v-v(1+v)}{1+v}=\frac{1-v-v-v^{2}}{1+v}=\frac{1-2v-v^{2}}{1+v}
[/tex]

1. What is a homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation is a type of differential equation in which all of the terms involve the dependent variable and its derivatives. In other words, the equation is "homogeneous" in that all of the terms have the same degree of the dependent variable.

2. How is a homogeneous differential equation different from a non-homogeneous one?

A non-homogeneous differential equation has terms that do not involve the dependent variable or its derivatives. This means that the equation is not "homogeneous" and may require different methods of solution compared to a homogeneous differential equation.

3. What are the key characteristics of a homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation is linear, meaning that the dependent variable and its derivatives appear to the first power only. It is also separable, meaning that the equation can be written as a product of functions of the dependent variable and its derivatives. Additionally, a homogeneous differential equation is invariant under translation and scaling of the independent variable.

4. How do you solve a homogeneous differential equation?

To solve a homogeneous differential equation, you can use the method of separation of variables, substitution, or the method of undetermined coefficients. You can also use the characteristic equation method, which involves finding the roots of the characteristic equation to determine the solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of homogeneous differential equations?

Homogeneous differential equations are used in various fields of science and engineering to model natural phenomena. Some examples include population growth, chemical reactions, and radioactive decay. They are also used in economics, biology, and physics to describe systems that exhibit exponential growth or decay.