Homogeneous linear differential equations

In summary, the equation y = [1+e^(ax)]^(-1) represents the solution of the equation y'=-a*e^(a*x)/[e^(a*x)+1]^2, where y'=-a*e^(a*x)/[e^(a*x)+1]^2, and y''=a^(2)*e^(a*x)[e^(a*x)-1]/[e^(a*x)+1]^3. If there is a solution, x must equal 0.
AkilMAI

Homework Statement

The equation
2y'' - y' + y2(1 - y) = 0;
where y' = dy/dx
and y'' = d^2y/dx^2
represents a special case of an equation used as a model
for nerve conduction, and describes the shape of a wave of electrical activity
transmitted along a nerve fi bre.

Homework Equations

the task is to find a value for the constant "a" so that y = [1 + e^(ax)]^(-1) represents the solution of the equation

The Attempt at a Solution

y'=-a*e^(a*x)/[e^(a*x)+1]^2
y''=a^(2)*e^(a*x)[e^(a*x)-1]/[e^(a*x)+1]^3
Basically after I substitute the solution into
the equation and did some calculation I've reached this point
[2*(a^2)*e^(a*x)]*[e^(a*x)-1]+[a*e^(a*x)]*[e^(a*x)+1]-e^(a*x)/[e^(a*x)+1]^3=0=>
=>2*(a^2)*(e^(a*x)-1)+a*(e^(a*x)+1)-1=0...any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
#2y'' - y' + y^2*(1 - y) = 0

I didn't check your derivatives, but assuming you have them calculated correctly, here's what I would do.

Assuming there is a solution of the type you have, your last equation must hold for all x. So I would put x = 0 and see if I could solve the resulting equation for a. Then, without taking x = 0 put your value for a in your last equation and see if it works. If so, you are home free.

And, I think this method works :wink:

That's (2a^2+a)*e^(ax)+(-2a^2+a-1)=0. For that to be equal to zero the coefficient of e^(ax) must be zero and the other term must also be zero. Before you do that, I get the other term to be (-2a^2+a+1). Could you check that?

:D,thanks for the reply ,I've tried that before I posted the problem...In this case I get a=1/2 and after I substitute =>e^(2*x)+e^(1/2*x)=0

AkilMAI said:
:D,thanks for the reply ,I've tried that before I posted the problem...In this case I get a=1/2 and after I substitute =>e^(2*x)+e^(1/2*x)=0

You mean 1/2 in that first exponent. I agree that a = 1/2, but I get a minus sign between the two terms.

LCKurtz said:
You mean 1/2 in that first exponent. I agree that a = 1/2, but I get a minus sign between the two terms.

I'm getting a=(-1/2). I think there may be a sign error in your equation. See my previous post.

no, I mean e^(x)+e^(1/2*x)=0...there is only one term with I minus and I used to cancel another term(mainly -e^(1/2*x)/2)
sorry Dick but I didn't quite understand what you where trying to say...

Dick said:
I'm getting a=(-1/2). I think there may be a sign error in your equation. See my previous post.

I found an error in my calculations. I now agree with Dick a = -1/2 works.

No ,I'm sorry it is [2*(a^2)*e^(a*x)]*[e^(a*x)-1]+[a*e^(a*x)]*[e^(a*x)+1]+e^(a*x)/[e^(a*x)+1]^3=0...it is plus at the end not minus,this justifies my above result

AkilMAI said:
no, I mean e^(x)+e^(1/2*x)=0...there is only one term with I minus and I used to cancel another term(mainly -e^(1/2*x)/2)
sorry Dick but I didn't quite understand what you where trying to say...

I'm not trying to say anything profound. Your equation, (2a^2+a)*e^(ax)+(-2a^2+a-1)=0 doesn't have any solutions. I get (2a^2+a)*e^(ax)+(-2a^2+a+1)=0. Which does.

Dick ...I also got (2a^2+a)*e^(ax)+(-2a^2+a+1)=0 ,I copied it wrong from the notebook...but here I get stuck

AkilMAI said:
Dick ...I also got (2a^2+a)*e^(ax)+(-2a^2+a+1)=0 ,I copied it wrong from the notebook...but here I get stuck

If that's going to be zero for all x, you need to set (2*a^2+a)=0 and (-2a^2+a+1)=0. Is there a value of a that works in both?

(2*a^2+a)=0=>a =-1/2...(-2a^2+a+1)=0=>a =1

AkilMAI said:
(2*a^2+a)=0=>a =-1/2...(-2a^2+a+1)=0=>a =1

Quadratics generally have two roots. You are only showing one for each equation.

a=-1/2

AkilMAI said:
a=-1/2

Sure.

1. What is a homogeneous linear differential equation?

A homogeneous linear differential equation is a type of differential equation where all the terms can be expressed as a linear combination of the dependent variable and its derivatives. This means that the equation does not contain any constants or terms that are not directly related to the dependent variable.

2. How do you solve a homogeneous linear differential equation?

To solve a homogeneous linear differential equation, you must first rewrite it in its standard form, which is in the form of y^(n) + pn-1(x)y^(n-1) + ... + p1(x)y' + p0(x)y = 0. Then, you can use various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors to find the general solution.

3. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous linear differential equation?

A homogeneous linear differential equation has all terms in the form of a linear combination of the dependent variable and its derivatives, while a non-homogeneous linear differential equation contains additional terms that are not directly related to the dependent variable. These additional terms can be constants or functions of x.

4. Can a homogeneous linear differential equation have non-constant coefficients?

Yes, a homogeneous linear differential equation can have non-constant coefficients. In fact, it is common for these equations to have coefficients that vary with respect to the independent variable x.

5. What are the applications of homogeneous linear differential equations?

Homogeneous linear differential equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to model various physical phenomena such as heat transfer, population growth, and circuit analysis. They are also important in understanding the behavior of systems with multiple interacting variables.