Homomorphism from Hom(W, F) to Hom(V, F)

  • Thread starter Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
e(ho0n3
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
Let T be a homomorphism from V into W. Using T, define a homomorphism T* of Hom(W, F) into Hom(V, F).


Note on notation
Hom(V, F) is just the dual space of V. Similarly for Hom(W, F).


The attempt at a solution
This is a problem from Hernstein's "Topics in Algebra". It is given before the sections covering linear independence, bases and dual spaces, which I find odd. I don't have much to work with here. The only T* I can define at this point is the one sending everything in Hom(W, F) to the 0 functional in Hom(V, F). Any tips?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Pick a w in Hom(W,F). So w:W->F. You want T*(w) to map V->F. There's a natural way to use T:V->W to do that.