Hooke's Law on a Slope with friction.

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a slope and finding the acceleration. The person asking for help is trying to solve the problem using energy conservation and is struggling with finding the work done. They are given hints about using a harmonic oscillator approach and separating out the work done against friction. The conversation ends with the person thanking for the help and mentioning they will post back if they still need assistance.
RCulling

Homework Statement

Question is in attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I mananged to find the acceleration up the slope but cannot get any further than this?
- can someone please give me hint; push in the right direction

Attachments

• Physics Study.jpg
    Physics Study.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
Better image here

Attachments

• Physics Study.jpg
    Physics Study.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 511
Hint (again): energy conservation.

Solve it as a harmonic oscillator, but add a constant to the position, so that x(0)=constant. Solve for that constant, and the rest should follow.

Edit: Oh, wow, energy conservation is a lot easier. Never mind.

Mmm energy conservation i get, I am just trying to figure out the work done?
I've the force at the most compressed point, but it changes over the 0.2m it acts upon?
- what am i missing?

You can separate out the work done against friction. Kinetic energy is trivial. All that's left is to consider gravitational and spring potentials at 0 and at D.

Ok thanks for the helping hints, i'll post back if i still can't get it

- Cheers :D

What is Hooke's Law on a Slope with friction?

Hooke's Law on a Slope with friction states that the force required to stretch or compress a spring on a slope with friction is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position, taking into account the effects of friction.

What is the formula for Hooke's Law on a Slope with friction?

The formula for Hooke's Law on a Slope with friction is F = -kx + μmg sinθ, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the spring, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object attached to the spring, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the slope.

How does the coefficient of friction affect Hooke's Law on a Slope with friction?

The coefficient of friction directly affects Hooke's Law on a Slope with friction by adding an additional force component, μmg sinθ, to the force required to stretch or compress the spring. This force component takes into account the effects of friction on the object attached to the spring.

What is the significance of the slope angle in Hooke's Law on a Slope with friction?

The slope angle, θ, plays a crucial role in Hooke's Law on a Slope with friction as it determines the magnitude of the force component, μmg sinθ, which is added to the force required to stretch or compress the spring. The steeper the slope, the larger the force component, and thus, the greater the force required to stretch or compress the spring.

How is Hooke's Law on a Slope with friction applied in real-life situations?

Hooke's Law on a Slope with friction can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the force required to stretch or compress a spring in a car's suspension system, determining the force needed to lift an object on an inclined plane, and analyzing the behavior of elastic materials under different conditions of friction and slope angles.