1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz tranformation of law of reflection

1. Apr 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider an inertial frame ##S## with coordinates ##x^{\mu}=(t,x,y,z)##, and a frame ##S'## with coordinates ##x^{\mu'}## related to ##S## by a boost with velocity parameter ##v## along the ##y##-axis. Imagine we have a wall at rest in ##S'##, lying along the line ##x'=-y'##. From the point of view of ##S##, what is the relationship between the incident angle of a ball hitting the wall (travelling in the ##x##-##y## plane) and the reflected angle? What about the velocity before and after?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

From the point of view of ##S'##, the incident angle equals the reflected angle.

The frame ##S'## travels parallel to the ##y##-axis of the frame ##S##. Therefore, ##y'=-x' \implies \gamma\ y = - x##.

Therefore, from the point of view of the ##S## frame, the wall has a gentler slope (i.e., slope of smaller magnitude).

Will the trajectories also change their directions in the ##S## frame?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2016 #2
    The fact that the wall has a gentler slope in the ##S## frame is a true fact. However, I think that it is not of much use in solving the problem. It can, however, help in developing a feel for how the wall and the trajectories of the incident and the reflected particles appear from the ##S## frame. In particular, I think that, in the ##S## frame, (due to Lorentz contraction only along the ##y##-direction, and no Lorentz contraction along the ##x##- direction) the incident angle decreases and the reflected angle increases (with respect to the Lorentz-transformed normal to the wall) with the increase of the velocity of the ##S'## frame. This is illustrated in the figure below.

IMAG0115.jpg

4. Apr 27, 2016 #3
    My additional progress with the problem so far:

IMAG0117.jpg

Using the figure above,

##1 = \text{tan}\ 45^{\circ} = \text{tan}\ \phi'_{i}=\frac{Y'_{i}}{X'_{i}}=\frac{\gamma\ Y_{i}}{X_{i}}=\gamma\ \text{tan}\ \phi_{i}## so that ##\text{tan}\ \phi_{i}=\frac{1}{\gamma}##

and

##1 = \text{tan}\ 45^{\circ} = \text{tan}\ \phi'_{f}=\frac{X'_{f}}{Y'_{f}}=\frac{X_{f}}{\gamma\ Y_{f}}=\frac{1}{\gamma}\ \text{tan}\ \phi_{f}## so that ##\text{tan}\ \phi_{f}=\gamma##.

IMAG0127.jpg

Furthermore, using the figure above,

##\text{tan}\ (\phi'_{i}-\theta'_{i})=\frac{y'_{i}}{x'_{i}}=\frac{\gamma\ y_{i}}{x_{i}}=\gamma\ \text{tan}\ (\phi_{i}-\theta_{i})##

and

##\text{tan}\ (\phi'_{f}-\theta'_{f})=\frac{x'_{f}}{y'_{f}}=\frac{x_{f}}{\gamma\ y_{f}}=\frac{1}{\gamma}\ \text{tan}\ (\phi_{f}-\theta_{f})##

so that

##\text{tan}\ (\phi'_{i}-\theta'_{i})=\text{tan}\ (\phi'_{f}-\theta'_{f})##

##\implies \gamma\ \text{tan}\ (\phi_{i}-\theta_{i}) = \frac{1}{\gamma}\ \text{tan}\ (\phi_{f}-\theta_{f})##

##\implies \gamma^{2}\ \frac{\text{tan}\ \phi_{i}-\text{tan}\ \theta_{i}}{1+\text{tan}\ \phi_{i}\text{tan}\ \theta_{i}}=\frac{\text{tan}\ \phi_{f}-\text{tan}\ \theta_{f}}{1+\text{tan}\ \phi_{f}\text{tan}\ \theta_{f}}##

##\implies \gamma^{2}\ \frac{\frac{1}{\gamma} - \text{tan}\ \theta_{i}}{1+\frac{1}{\gamma}\text{tan}\ \theta_{i}}=\frac{\gamma-\text{tan}\ \theta_{f}}{1+\gamma\ \text{tan}\ \theta_{f}}##

##\implies \gamma^{2}\ \frac{1- \gamma\ \text{tan}\ \theta_{i}}{\gamma +\text{tan}\ \theta_{i}}=\frac{\gamma-\text{tan}\ \theta_{f}}{1+\gamma\ \text{tan}\ \theta_{f}}##

Am I doing ok? Am I heavy weather out of a simple problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted