Horizontal Force on Pivot Point

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving torque and angular momentum using equations such as T=F*r and F*X=Ia, and taking moments about the center of mass in order to find the equation being asked for in part B of the problem. The problem involves finding the force on a pivot point using a given diagram and equations.
Epif

Homework Statement

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6641/torquebk4.jpg [Broken]

Homework Equations

T=F*r
F*X=Ia
I=ML2/3

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to do part A easily enough, but I'm not quite sure where to even start with part B. I know that the force on the pivot point would be F0 if X was .5L, ie the center of mass. However, I am unable to come up with the equation asked for. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Epif! :wink:

Hint: take moments about any point on the rod (might as well use the c.o.m.), and use "impulsive" torque = change of angular momentum. :smile:

I would first clarify the question by asking for more information. What is the specific goal or purpose of finding the equation for part B? Is it to determine the horizontal force at a specific point on the rod? Is it to calculate the torque on the pivot point?

Once I have a clear understanding of the objective, I would approach the problem by first identifying the variables involved and their relationships. In this case, the variables are force (F), distance from pivot point (r), torque (T), and moment of inertia (I). The equations provided (T=F*r, F*X=Ia, and I=ML^2/3) can be used to relate these variables.

Next, I would consider the physical principles at play. In this scenario, the rod is being acted upon by a horizontal force, which will create a torque around the pivot point. The moment of inertia, which depends on the mass and distribution of the rod, will also play a role in determining the resulting torque.

To solve for the equation in part B, I would use the equation T=F*r and substitute in the value for the moment of inertia from the given equation (I=ML^2/3). This would give me an equation in terms of F, r, and L. I could then use the given value for X to solve for F, which would give me the equation for the horizontal force on the pivot point at a specific distance from the center of mass.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would approach the problem by first clarifying the objective, identifying the variables and their relationships, and using physical principles and equations to solve for the desired equation. I would also make sure to clearly communicate the assumptions and limitations of the solution.

1. What is horizontal force on pivot point?

Horizontal force on pivot point, also known as torque, is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object around a fixed point. It is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is horizontal force on pivot point calculated?

The calculation for horizontal force on pivot point is force multiplied by the distance from the pivot point. In equation form, it is represented as torque = force x distance. This is also known as the lever arm principle.

3. What factors affect horizontal force on pivot point?

The magnitude of horizontal force on pivot point is affected by the amount of force applied, the distance from the pivot point, and the angle at which the force is applied. Additionally, the weight and distribution of mass of the object being rotated can also impact the torque.

4. How does horizontal force on pivot point affect rotational motion?

Horizontal force on pivot point is responsible for causing rotational motion in objects. The amount of torque applied determines the speed and direction of the rotation. Objects with larger torque will rotate faster, while objects with smaller torque will rotate slower.

5. What are some real-world applications of horizontal force on pivot point?

Horizontal force on pivot point is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as turning a doorknob, using a wrench to loosen a bolt, and rotating a steering wheel to control a car. It is also a crucial concept in understanding the mechanics of machines, such as engines and bicycles.