Household currents physics homework

So it would be 624C.In summary, a typical household current is on the order of a few amperes. If a 1.60A current flows through the leads of an electrical appliance, 624 coulombs will pass through it in 6.50 minutes.
jimmyboykun

Homework Statement

Typical household currents are on the order of a few amperes.
If a 1.60A current flows through the leads of an electrical appliance, how many coulombs pass through it in 6.50min ?

Homework Equations

I=ΔQ/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

6.50min=1min/60s= 0.108s

I*Δt=ΔQ
1.60A*0.108s= 0.173C

I figured that delta Q would be in Coulombs but I was wrong. What further step do I need to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
amp = colombs/sec

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampere

so your mistake is 6.5min = 0.108sec (ie 6 mins = one tenth of a second ? Does that make sense?

6.5 min= (6.5*60) secs = 390 secs

colombs = 1.6 * 390 = ?

Yes I just figured it out! thanks I notice my mistake after looking back at my calculations

1. What is household current?

Household current refers to the flow of electric charge that powers the electrical devices and appliances in our homes. It is typically supplied by the electric utility company and is used to power lights, appliances, and other electronic devices.

2. How does household current work?

Household current works by creating a closed circuit between the power source (such as an outlet) and the electrical device. When a device is plugged in, the current flows from the power source, through the device, and back to the power source, completing the circuit.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) are two types of household current. AC current changes direction periodically, while DC current flows in only one direction. Most household current in the United States is AC, while DC is commonly used in batteries and some electronic devices.

4. What is the voltage of household current?

The voltage of household current can vary depending on the country and region, but in the United States it is typically around 120 volts. This means that the electrical potential difference between the positive and negative terminals is 120 volts.

5. Is household current dangerous?

Yes, household current can be dangerous if not used properly. High voltage and current can cause electric shock, which can be fatal. It is important to follow safety precautions and use electrical devices and outlets as intended to prevent accidents.